grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Really? I mean, it doesn't have a lot of thematic depth or anything, but taken just basically as the book equivalent of a summer movie, it's very fun.

I dunno. I'm getting less and less tolerant of geek nostalgia and this doesn't sound like it's anything more than that.

I dunno. I'm getting less and less tolerant of geek nostalgia and this doesn't sound like it's anything more than that.

I read it just last week actually. It is filled with 80s references, video games, comics, anime, movies etc. There is a major issue with the plot that is the same issue in every single "chosen one" narrative (although this isn't exactly a chosen one narrative, more like a 'I worked real hard for this' narrative), and that is that our hero is smarter and better than literally everyone else.

The ending fight though, will look awesome on screen, and the twists are pretty well executed in the end as well.