Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tele Came Back

Sunshine, Light, and Joy -- Bring Fun to the Forums

222 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Guys please do not turn this into PC hell or you will really limit its potential. We need different viewpoints... 

Youre missing the point.

No one is advocating clinical correctness at all whatsoever. No one is saying that you cannot shit on a film. In fact go ahead and do it and get it out of your system. What we are asking is that once you've expressed yourself numerous times there's no need to continuously do it over and over again.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Youre missing the point.

No one is advocating clinical correctness at all whatsoever. No one is saying that you cannot shit on a film. In fact go ahead and do it and get it out of your system. What we are asking is that once you've expressed yourself numerous times there's no need to continuously do it over and over again.

That's a bit different from the tone behind the OP but yeah it makes sense.

Edited by GiantCALBears
1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

When it comes to super hero movies, I'm not gonna lie I have zero knowledge why there is so much animosity between the two (I mean, I don't understand why they just can't get along and apreciate one another). Those are the films that I know are a big source of negativity on both ends (those who troll and those who are over protective of their film even recieving a minor criticism).

Imagine sports teams.

Now imagine if the winner was decided by popular opinion and circular fanboy arguments. :P

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Youre missing the point.

So how many times do I have to wait from you saying TFA is the GOAT before I call a mod? :P

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Imagine sports teams.

Now imagine if the winner was decided by popular opinion and circular fanboy arguments. :P

🤔

if that's the case......then the Dallas Cowboys would be the winners....

😳😳😳

13 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Curious why trolling can't apply to someone who overly praises something especially if it's consensus not good but I largely get and agree with that. Everyone would prefer an upbeat atmosphere. 

Obviously we're going to have people whose opinion goes against consensus (whether positively or negatively). I didn't stress the positive fanboyism because it didn't seem like as big a problem. But really, the issue is whether you're trying to overwhelm everyone else with your view. If a film is generally hated and you love it, that's cool -- and it's certainly cool to explain why you liked it or to engage with others in a discussion to explain why. But if you literally reply to every single negative post with a "That's wrong, you misunderstood, it's genius!", that's what we're cracking down on.

For the most part, I think it tends to be the other way around but no question sometimes the reverse is true.

3 people like this

beauty and the beast is garbage.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

this is indeed a movie that i gave an F on the review poll without having seen. 

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

You and Han and Ethan are just jealous of the Beast.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Copycat.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i gave it an honest D :)

Edited by That One Valerian
*insert dick joke here*

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear what everyone thinks of this, and what concerns you may feel this could present. We really do try to make everyone happy and want this place to be a place you can come and post freely without judgement, and just have fun. :)

2 people like this

Everyone should just take a break from the CBM threads and watch Better Call Saul tonight so I have some people to live post with in the CC thread.

5 people like this

Just now, aabattery said:

Copycat.

i guess that makes me a regular Bill Condon, eh?

CO6syBwU8AA7qm8.jpg

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i guess that makes me a regular Bill Condon, eh?

CO6syBwU8AA7qm8.jpg

giphy.gif

3 people like this

All the talk is about superhero threads but honestly every blockbuster has this issue. I'm mostly engaged by animated films but I have to deal with the "Pixar has lost it" shit every time I dare to bump a thread for their food. Everyone's so quick to dismiss them now, the exception ironically being the Cars 3 thread

3 people like this

21 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Everyone should just take a break from the CBM threads and watch Better Call Saul tonight so I have some people to live post with in the CC thread.

I never get the chance to watch TV live anymore :(

Excited to see how much of a douchebag furious Chuck is though!

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I never get the chance to watch TV live anymore :(

Excited to see how much of a douchebag furious Chuck is though!

Chuck got owned by Slippin Jimmy superpowers last episode, it was glorious.

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

🤔

if that's the case......then the Dallas Cowboys would be the winners....

😳😳😳

Or the Patriots. :P

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Or the Patriots. :P

Naw, cause only New Englanders like the Pats, elsewhere we're hated. For some reason Dallas is universally loved/liked (I mean there are those that hate them, like division rivals).