34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Call it a guilty pleasure but i love this film.

It doesn't make sense on so many levels but boy is it fun!

- the horse in the elevator

- the terrorist cameraman running out of battery power

- Arnie flirting with Juno during the ball in Switzerland

- the Harrier

- the bridge car chase

- JLC's striptease!!!!!

- and the hottest kiss in film history

- and most everything else

A solid A in my book!

• Like 1

"Give me the goddamn page!"

Had the rare treat of getting to watch a 35mm print of this at an Alamo Drafthouse recently. One of the best, if not the best, movies Arnold has made. This is right up there with Conan for me. Hard to pick one of those two as top since they're such completely different movies, but this is pretty much the definitive Arnold movie. Once again James Cameron really knows how to get a good performance out of his actors and the excellent blend of action, comedy, drama, and Ahnold in this movie keeps it as fresh now as it was when it first came out. Pure escapist fun and I must have laughed out loud 30+ times during this.

Arnold is in top form again and this movie is how I like to picture him. He's suave as a spy, a smartass with his partner, vulnerable with his family, and blows lots of shit up. The movie doesn't take itself too seriously, yet manages to still maintain a certain realism that maintains the suspension of disbelief very nicely. It's very much Cameron's nod to the Bond films and has the humor of a Roger Moore Bond movie without being hopelessly self-serving and cheesy. Arnold is given many many wonderful opportunities to glare at/kill people, but also a tremendous amount of character depth for an action movie. One of my favorite moments (I could easily list 20+) is Arnold acting shell shocked after finding out his wife is having an affair. It's perfectly played and, for added brilliance, is offset by Tom actually being happy for him that he's finally been the victim of an affair as well. The rapid pace and deft movement between action/comedy/drama across the film is impressive and frequently happens several times within an individual scene. Great, great stuff.

Special appreciation to Tom here, as he usually irritates the hell out of me in most films, but his character is so perfect a foil to Arnold's, and his delivery is so spot-on, that you can't help but be entertained. His "What kind of sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer" line is inspired, but so are the little exchanges like "Dickhead" - "Blow me"... So much rapid fire fun dialog in there.

We need more movies like this. I love a good drama and crying at a film is okay, but when I go to a movie, this is what I'm always secretly hoping for. Take me on a ride and entertain the hell out of me and I'll be back time and time again.

Ahnold Quotient - 11

Yep, they cranked the knob to 11 for this one. It has everything from the nods and winks to the glares to the blowing shit up. I guess we don't see him without his shirt that I can recall (although he does run around with it open for a bit), but that's more than made up for by the steady stream of testosterone-laden scenes and the crazy number of one-liners. Only Cameron can cram in that much AQ without dipping it in cheese.

Rewatchability - Yes please

Any time, any place. If I ever hear someone hasn't watched this, it makes me want to drag them to the nearest screen and have them watch it immediately. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of anyone not being genuinely entertained by this movie. We have Cameron and Arnold at their peak of creativity and performance, and I'm so glad we have this wonderful gift from them to treasure for years to come.

Edited by BiffMan
  • Like 5

The last act has still some of the craziest action scenes ever put on film and twenty years later, it still holds up.Oh and that Jamie Lee Curtis strip tease, niiiiiiiiice.The last truly great Arnold movie, it all went downhill after that.A of course, it s fucking Cameron.I can t believe it is still not available on blu ray though

• Like 2

Cheesy but entertaining. Actions scenes are staged very well, which is a hallmark of James Cameron's action movies. Arnold seemed to be having a lot of fun in this movie.

The movie has also one of the most unintentional hilarious action scenes ever (the gun firing while falling down the stairs)

B+

• Like 1

This movie is a classic.

Tom Arnold was hilarious as the blubbering idiot. Bill Paxton was great as the wannabe secret agent. Great villian. Great action sequences. The horse runnin' amok, harrier, hot daughter. It was a cornucopia of awesome.

• Like 3

A funny trivia about James Cameron.From Terminator 2 to Avatar, every one of his movies has been dubed the most expensive movie of all time.Terminator 2 (1991) : 100mTrue Lies (1994) : 140mTitanic (1997) : 200mAvatar (2009) : only god knows, probably over 300m.

Could this be in fucking Blu-ray already? Damn it! I'm gonna watch the shit out of it, and I'm gonna watch the shit out of the making-of stuff as well.

Boy I love this movie. I know I can never be a film-maker, but if I could, I'd love to be able to make films like True Lies.

Could this be in fucking Blu-ray already? Damn it! I'm gonna watch the shit out of it, and I'm gonna watch the shit out of the making-of stuff as well.

Boy I love this movie. I know I can never be a film-maker, but if I could, I'd love to be able to make films like True Lies.

20 Year Anniversary. Believe.