baumer

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Brilliant film, Forman's best. The cast and performances are superb, it's not only Nicholson. Louise Fletcher's only noteworthy appearance (imho) but what a haunting and elusive antagonist she makes as nurse Ratched! Brad Dourif, Danny deVito, Christopher Lloyd! And lots more!

It's one of a few films that dispense with film music. There are a few notes, especially beginning/ending, but most of the time it's just the sounds and dialogue. When nurse Ratched puts on music, it's part of the plot. It makes for a really gritty atmosphere.

My favourite scenes: When they "escape" and steal a boat for a day's deep-sea fishing. It underlines how much happines there could be and so makes the institution even more opressive by contrast.

Visually it's by-the-numbers, but you don't need creative cinematography with such a terrific cast and story and dense atmoshere. The set-up is so simple this could be a good stage play.

it's sentimental, but it has every right to be. a great portrayal of a mental institution, and when it takes sides, it takes the right ones. it's also a celebration of individuality that is unmatched by the majority of film past or present. i'm not sure how suitable the final image is of an american indian running into the grassy sunset, but we'll leave that be.

• Like 1

It definitely is my kind of movie, where characters are not defined by their evilness or their goodness, where people are shown as complex animals that they are instead of simplistic stereotypes that some filmmakers like to shove down your throat to make their vision of reality work.

The last sequence is the absolute highlight of the movie.

85/100

I have no idea why I thought this was a Kubrick film :lol:

One of my favorite films. Love this movie so much, though it's so sad at the end. Jack Nicholson(sp?) does one of his best performances in this movie, if not the best for me. Loved this movie, A+ 9/10.

Oh I agree - fantastic movie but the ending just breaks my heart - McMurphy was just so full of life & to see it taken away from him is just heartbreaking!!  I do believe this is Jack's best performance along with Louise Fletcher though I despise her character with every fiber of my being!!  I do get a kick out of all the patients & their interactions with each other & especially with McMurphy.  Just an awesome film!