baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Are we really doing this?

ST>IM1>STID>IM3>IM2

You nailed it for me, though because of the complete failure in tone and the insultingly jokey nature of it, IM3 is almost below IM2 for me. IM3 is an objectively far better movie than the boring IM2, but it also has a far bigger failure- it turns the entire film into one big joke. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll never understand anyone saying IM3 is one huge joke. Why? Because the villain wasn't who you thought it was? Execution of Mandarin > Execution of Khan any day of the week

Edited by Gopher

I liked it. There are some pretty boring bits in the second act but overall its a good blockbuster if there ever was one. There was some spectacle for yo ass and I was mostly entertained throughout the whole thing. Obviously this is not as good as the first one but I'd watch this again on Blu-Ray, though I'd probably fast forward through some stuff. 

One of my favorite aspects is the chemistry between Kirk and Spock. Both Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine are perfect in their roles and whenever they have to operate together I'm interested. That however does result in this becoming a bit of a Kirk and Spock Show, leaving Uhura, Bones and Sulu little to do. 

Benedict Cumberbatch I thought was absolutely terrific and very menacing as the admittedly thinly written bad guy, but the "twist" was unnecessary. Like, who cares? Just make him Khan from the get go. The new female cast member Alice Eve was just useless and Chekov still sucks. The dude is trying too hard to be cute. Thankfully there wasn't much of him in this one. 

Its the second best big movie of the summer so far

4/5

• Like 1

This movie was a grand effort and was quite a lot of fun but it lacked the charm that Star Trek 09 had.

I think the biggest problem with the film was not giving a better back ground of the villain. He was pretty good but what he started to do at the end sort of get muddied.

B+ 

Yeah, I'll never understand anyone saying IM3 is one huge joke. Why? Because the villain wasn't who you thought it was?Execution of Mandarin > Execution of Khan any day of the week

It wasn't the Mandarin twist, at least for me. It was the fact that every scene with an ounce of emotional resonance ended with some kind of gag or one-liner. For example, Pepper's death. Ended with a bad suit gag. Never had any impact at all because of it. The whole "shirt off an Indian" joke after the phone call to Pepper. IM3 had plenty of great humor, it didn't need it every single line.

• Like 2

I'm not a huge Star Trek follower, but I enjoyed the 2009 film. I liked where this was going in the first half, but then it became standard action fare and I couldn't be bothered caring about the plot. The main highlights for me was the interaction between Kirk and Spock, and of course the score.

B

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll never understand anyone saying IM3 is one huge joke. Why? Because the villain wasn't who you thought it was?Execution of Mandarin > Execution of Khan any day of the week

Why? It's much more than just that. It's because Shane Black treated the entire movie as one big joke, because there was absolutely NO dramatic tension or feeling of suspense in the film, and because the film had one-liners and comedic outbursts at the most awkward times.

• Like 1