baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

There's something wrong with the search button.

Almost every single time I look for a movie, the movie in question is not the first result.

If I'm looking for this movie, why do movies like The Hangover 2 come up? WTF?

• Like 1

A more-than-sufficiently entertaining sequel, even if it's not up to par with the previous film or its obvious inspiration. The homages to Wrath of Khan don't hold up as well on repeat viewings, but I could still appreciate the thematic points that the film was going for, and I enjoyed myself throughout the running time. I also think that Benedict Cumberbatch's performance is quite underrated. Will he ever replace Ricardo Montalban in fans' minds as Khan? Hell no. But his Khan is so far removed from that one that comparisons almost feel moot, and Cumberbatch is aces as an especially icy villain.

B+

Edited by Webslinger

God this was boring. I fell asleep twice. Maybe it played better in the theater but even the "witty banter" falls flat in this one. Why is everyone in this movie tripping over each other to sacrifice themselves? You could see all the twists coming a mile away, and the end was such a cop out. Big let down from ST09.

C-

Edited by aDIM Stormborn
  • Like 2

an excellent blockbuster but I get the impression the villain didn't need to be Khan. If he stayed as John Harrison, the plot could have almost have been identical. The events could have unfolded exactly the same. If they really needed Khan to be in the film the big twist at the end could have been Khan being one of the frozen bodies yet to be unfrozen for a sequel. 

• Like 1

Yeah, still fucking great.

I gotta be honest, at first, I thought STiD was good albeit slightly disappointing, but after watching it many times, I see I was wrong.  STiD is a refreshing film among soulless blockbusting. When was the last time a big budgeted movie passed so many opportunities of overlong CGI spectacle in favor of more characters driven moments? I love the reboot, but people got admit its story structure was a bit too conventional.

We need more STiDs, films that don't need to shoehorn overlong action setpieces at every turn, climaxes that don't need to be bigger and louder and dumber than everything that preceded it. We need more of that.

Some may say it's a retread from the first film, but I didn't really care, Kirk's arc couldn't have been executed more flawlessly. Props to, once again, great dialogue and energetic performances. 

Giacchino's work for the first film is brilliant, one of the main reasons why the reboot came together so well (music is 50% of a good film as I always say), but I suspected there was something lacking then, and after watching STiD, that became obvious to me. It needed more contrast, which is exactly what STiD provides with Ode to Harrison.

Some minor nitpicks would be the roll eyes magic blood plot device, which undermined Kirk's great last moment with Spock, substantially.  Found the plot to be a bit contrived at parts as well. 

95/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

an excellent blockbuster but I get the impression the villain didn't need to be Khan. If he stayed as John Harrison, the plot could have almost have been identical. The events could have unfolded exactly the same. If they really needed Khan to be in the film the big twist at the end could have been Khan being one of the frozen bodies yet to be unfrozen for a sequel. 

And let's not forget the Nimoy cameo was forced and unnecessary. And akin to Quinto popping in the Wrath of Khan DVD to see what happens to him in order to decide what to do.

• Like 1

ST09 felt like one story that had a climactic conclusion whilst STID had multiple storylines that either were incomplete but were setups for a sequel (Klingon), were anticlimactic (Admiral Marcus), or a mix of both (Khan). Then you have the fan service stuff like Nimoy and the tribble, plus the ending copouts.

This notion of "At least STID had ideas" as an argument of why it's better than ST09 is just ridiculous. A lot of movies that have ideas have ended up bad. Why? Lack of follow through. That's pretty much Lindelof's bread and butter. Idea or not, you still need to build a cohesive story.

Edited by Jay Beezy