baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

The actuals are in and Titanic was under estimated by a full mill.  Guru now thinks it could have a decent run and make it to about 150 mill.  If it can do about the same or a bit more overseas, it won't make the money back, but it won't be a total disaster.

Here is what he had to say:

Many elements contributed to Titanic's huge launch. There was no doubt that adding to the opening rush to see Titanic was its 8 Golden Globe nominations, best of any film this year, which were announced on the day before its release. Audiences were curious to see what James Cameron did to make the most expensive movie ever made. Hot young stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet were big draws for teens and young adults and the romance story made it an event film for the date crowd. Titanicgave Paramount its biggest opening weekend of the year and could enable the studio to surge ahead of Warner Brothers for the third spot in the year's box office market share. Paramount's reported $65M investment for domestic distribution rights looks almost certain to pay off as the upcoming holiday weekend activity, strong word-of-mouth, and award consideration should all contribute to a prolonged domestic run that could see Titanic reach $150M. Fox, which foot the bill for the rest of the $200M production, will handle international distribution where the film is also likely to be a huge blockbuster.

Christmas legs should push it over $150M, I agree. IMO.

Imagine if it went higher. Seriously. Like $200M high, $400M, $600M...

I guess I'm going crazy. $600m, what am I talking about? I'm crazy.

yeah, life's been stressful. It took 15 minutes to load this page and my sister is blaring Barbie Girl is the background...srsly man, life's tough.

2013 speaking.I just found an article from August 97 from Premiere Magazine, talking about the troubled production, and broken deadlines from Cameron, etc.

At the end, with the push back to a December 97 release, one of Fox executives says something like "we know we are not going to get our money back. To earn some money we need this to gross $550M worldwide, and that is impossible," A movie like Mission Impossible made $450M.... LOLIf you want i can scan it, that last part is hilarious. 

Back to 1997.

• Like 3

Yeah after that first weekend even with holidays, this will have trouble hitting the $200 mil DOM mark.I really like the movie but the best that could happen is the movie stays flat next weekend. It's not like it will increase as it goes on.Well I will watch it as many times as I can before it is taken out of theaters around the end of January or early February

Christmas legs should push it over $150M, I agree. IMO.Imagine if it went higher. Seriously. Like $200M high, $400M, $600M...I guess I'm going crazy. $600m, what am I talking about? I'm crazy.yeah, life's been stressful. It took 15 minutes to load this page and my sister is blaring Barbie Girl is the background...srsly man, life's tough.

600? Are you nuts!? I can see this doing 250-300 max. I can see a nice bump for the holidays but it'll go down. It's an incredible movie I have to admit its extremely rewatchable for such a long movie. Maybe people will keep on going back but how many times?Maybe a golden globe win and Oscar win will add 50-100 but it has to win first.

$150 million should be in reach, maybe even $200 million on the goodwill of Cameron as a director and Christmas holidays. That said I don't think there is anyway this sells more tickets than T-2.

I'll be seeing it next weekend.

You guys, I just saw this with my older sister and her friend. First totally nice boob from Winslet, second the theater I was in was robbed while I was watching the movie. I guess since it was three hours long no one bothered to disturb us (this actually did happen btw when I was 9 years old)

• Like 1

Even before the Movie Starts - Cool trailers! Can't wait for the Summer of 1998!

Farrelly Brothers There's Something about Mary looks Crazy Funny

Sandler's The Waterboy is a Gimme

Godzilla's Back????

Another Lethal Weapon > #4

Could Hanks win an Oscar for the intense Saving Private Ryan

And what is the Deal with Armegeddon - with all this Teaser Ads?????

You guys, I just saw this with my older sister and her friend. First totally nice boob from Winslet, second the theater I was in was robbed while I was watching the movie. I guess since it was three hours long no one bothered to disturb us (this actually did happen btw when I was 9 years old)

Lucky the robbers didn't come into the theater ... as I always have been scared of getting robbed.

Maybe one day, I can afford a cell phone. Or Maybe Santa will bring one for me for Christmas!!!! Hint Hint!

You're a little young to be posting here, don't you think? It is 1997 after all...

$150M would be a great result. I can definitely see it getting there. With such good buzz and great reviews, maybe it'll get a Golden Globe nomination too? That's be pretty cool for a movie that was supposed to be a total flop.

$150M? I was thinking like $100M would be great. I mean who wants to see a love story? (Even if there are boobs)

And what day are we on? I can't seem to find it. 

Edited by riczhang

I've got a man date to watch this tonight.  I heard there were boobies and and a sinking ship.  Did I mention boobies?

(True story btw, watched it with my college roommate because of the boobs. :D)

Boobies, Might be worth seeing...

As I Just got dragged last night by girlfriend to The PeaceMaker with George Clooney, BORING, who IMO should have stayed on TV!!!

Last 5 Movies Seen

------------------------

Con Air

Men in Black

The Fifth Element

Kiss the Girls

LA Confidential

Edited by Truman Burbank

Boobies, Might be worth seeing... As I Just got dragged last night by girlfriend to The PeaceMaker with George Clooney, BORING, who IMO should have stayed on TV!!! Last 5 Movies Seen------------------------Con AirMen in BlackThe Fifth ElementKiss the GirlsLA Confidential

You know, I saw this movie MouseHunt and it was...better than you'd think. Who knows if this Gore Burbenski guy will amount to much of anything though...