filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

Of course not. The reviews and the WOM tell you all you need to know about IM3's quality. A lot of poeple hated it and got really fanboy butthurt over the twist, but the overwhelming majority of the GA has reacted very positively to it.

It seems reviews and WOM are decent but unspectacular. Definitely not overwhelmingly positive and in terms of critics reviews, closer to IM2 than Iron Man 1

$350M and $400M were understandable? Spider Man, minus 3D, was in the same boat, and SM2 decreased.

Yeah but Star Trek '09 wasn't a box office phenom like Spider-Man. There was nowhere to go but down for it. Though SM2 probably would have slightly increased with 3D.

Yeah, in no way shape or form are any specific numbers locked in for Friday and Saturday for STID. Anything could still happen at this point.

Nothing is certain but based on local theaters it should jump a alot Friday. 

Nothing is certain but based on local theaters it should jump a alot Friday. 

Of course it's going to jump a lot. Or else we would be talking about STID missing $200m.

Question is, is it gonna jump a lot or A LOT!

Edited by Elessar

It's good that TA2 has only 3 year gap. :D

It's not just about the gap, it's more about the gap related to the impact the first movie had on the GA. 

AVATAR 2 sequel will be released like 6/7 years later.  Terminator 2 was released 8 years after its first installment.

Those movies have had a great impact on the memory of the GA and in the case of Terminator2, the gap between the two movies was used to popularize T1 through TV relentlessly and everywhere. 

Most people discovered T1 through TV and got pumped up for its sequel years before its release.

I guess the lack of the Internet and the underuse of video enabled TV to become the next bigger platform for hits. Hit movies were directly channeled from movies to TV channels giving access to a larger panel of people to popularize a movie. 

You tend to be more open to discover a movie on TV since you don't have to pay for it.  If you like it, you will be more inclined to pay for its sequel.

Today, you pass through video, hence you have to be at the very least a little bit interested in the product to pay for it.  Through TV you touch the indifferent folks who may discover something they will be able to like ultimately.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

right click the pic and copy the image url and post it here as a pic. 

Yea, it's not working.....it should be that easy.  

I'm not computer illiterate....this is just not working.

Really? I doubt that applies to many people. They know Kirk and Spock but not Khan.

Kirk's famous (infamous?) "Khaaaaaaaan" scream is parodied everywhere. I bet more people than you think could tell you that Khan is the name of a Star Trek villain

Of course it's going to jump a lot. Or else we would be talking about STID missing $200m.

Question is, is it gonna jump a lot or A LOT!

yep, we're just going to have to tune in on both Friday and Saturday to see just how much it'll jump

there's certainly no way we can do some typical weekend projections from this Thurdsay number

How big is now the source of tension...

One of the biggest freak outs over an extended opening was TF3... I remember people calling for sub 300 million after only getting 42 million opening day... It ended up around 181 million over 6 days and 88% of TF2 and likley finish near TF2 if it were not for DH2 record opening. 

Yea, it's not working.....it should be that easy.  

I'm not computer illiterate....this is just not working.

try memegeneator and not quickmeme. 

final gross. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

yep, we're just going to have to tune in on both Friday and Saturday to see just how much it'll jump

there's certainly no way we can do some typical weekend projections from this Thurdsay number

I'm guessing 30-35% increase for tomorrow. 

I really don`t care that much to wait. It can`t beat movies that I want beaten so I`ll read the report in the morning. IM3 was a completely different ballgame cause it had a legit shot at winning the year despite detractors nonsense.

Edited by fishnets