theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Well both films got good reviews and both films will have generated roughly 800 Million WW combined when it's done.  A third film would push it over a Billion so i'd disagree about it not being strong franchise.  But I think he should stop while he's ahead on Trek.  New Director for 3rd film, he can produce.  

Good reviews ain`t enough. What matters is passion. Huge hits happen when they induce passion. ST09 didn`t. STID doesn`t.

Passion doesn`t need good reviews.

Inception did tremendously well for a tough sell concept and tons of chicks swear by that movie. Leo&Marion, JGL, Hardy really appealed to women.

I don't think it was planned though like the way I suspect Cameron and Whedon plan out what to give their women audiences. Even "Heath Joker Rockstar" just happened as a fluke.

Also, Inception was the first Nolan flick coming post-TDK, Leo's first after Shutter Island, and WB marketed the hell out of it, giving it a premium summer release date usually reserved only for the biggest of blockbusters. I think it would have done the same even if you substituted Shia LaDouche and Robin Williams for JGL and Hardy respectively.  :lol:

Edited by Spidey Freak

Comptition is going to hurt STID legs because the competition is direct. STID isn`t a counterprogram. Think Hellboy 2 and TDK. Hellboy 2 had great WOM and TDK obliterated it because everyone who loved HB2 went to see TDK and not HB2 again. It`s the law of coming attractions. Poeple who loved STID will see FF6 and/or Hnagover 3 instead and epople who missed STID this week will see new openers because their freinds want to see them.

Fish, I have to say, that I find your lucid posts much more enjoyable than your...your...typical posts.  I know my opinion on the matter is worth very little, if anything, but I wanted it said.

I think these Thursday releases draw into question whether only certain films can really take full advantage.I don't think the late shift of date helped, but there's certainly an argument that all we've seen this weekend is a 3 day weekend stretched out over 4 days. Where a studio's late move to grab some extra dollars hasn't really worked and its been detrimental to how the film's performance has been perceived.Paramount quite rightly thought they had a chance at reporting $100 million on Sunday night but its kind of backfired. Instead all the reports will be of underperformance, when truth be told..had it opened Friday it would have wound up with around $80 million for the 3 day and much better press.Whatever where you look at it, all eyes will be on how it holds next weekend now. Huge competition for the same audience. Could be another case over memorial weekend of just too many movies for one to truly break out. Release date is everything. We all know Trek 2 would have done $100 million first weekend if it opened in IM3's date instead of the Marvel hit.

There's no way of knowing that really. You can certainly make the case but was no guarantee.

Fish, I have to say, that I find your lucid posts much more enjoyable than your...your...typical posts.  I know my opinion on the matter is worth very little, if anything, but I wanted it said.

You`re opinion means a lot to me. Love you! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Good reviews ain`t enough. What matters is passion. Huge hits happen when they induce passion. ST09 didn`t. STID doesn`t.

Passion doesn`t need good reviews.

For a film you describe without passion, it was amazing then for STAR TREK to become the 5th biggest movie of summer 2009.

If Iron Man survives next weekend with a decent drop, it will should make over 400m by a decent margin.

But if it drops over 55% then it's in big trouble to reach that margin I think.

Edited by 4815162342

I don't think it was planned though like the way I suspect Cameron and Whedon plan out what to give their women audiences. Even "Heath Joker Rockstar" just happened as a fluke.

Also, Inception was the first Nolan flick coming post-TDK, Leo's first after Shutter Island, and WB marketed the hell out of it, giving it a premium summer release date usually reserved only for the biggest of blockbusters. I think it would have done the same even if you substituted Shia LaDouche and Robin Williams for JGL and Hardy respectively.  :lol:

I`m sure that Whedon intentionally gave us slash but that is perfectly in character for TA because comic books are slash central anyway. And he appreciates that the audience loves it and audience loves him back. OTOH, I really think that Cameron is someone who takes interest in the world around him so he nails it without breaking much sweat over a formula of success. He sees people. he sees you.

If Iron Man survives next weekend with a decent drop, it will should make over 400m by a decent margin.

But if it drops over 55% then it's in big trouble to reach that margin I think.

Memorial weekend though.

• Like 1

For a film you describe without passion, it was amazing then for STAR TREK to become the 5th biggest movie of summer 2009.

Again, you don`t get it. Passion is long-term thing after the movie completed its run. SW has a passionate fandom that obsesses over SW years and decades since movies completed their run. Nu Trek couldn`t even sustain 4 years gap.

Edited by fishnets

2012 was an amazing year and spoiled me with four movies passing $1B WW and $400M DOM.

I predict 2013 will see only one of each and IM3 accomplishing both feats (I don't think Hobbit 2 will get there WW).