#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

The reboot argument works when the series has been in hiatus. They have been churning out movies every couple of year and you have another Wolverine movie being released this year. JLaw is a factor but she is going to be in three movies this year and the problem with a large ensemble movie is that you are diluting characters. How much individual screentime are any of these actors going to get anyway in a movie like this?

The reboot argument really is more in regards towards the cast. It was a completely new cast which didn't feature any of the more popular characters aside from Xavier and Magneto and that made it a tough sell for audiences.

I agree that the number of characters likely means a problem in terms of screen time. Still, I think Fox should be able to effectively market Days of Future Past and show that it's not just an X-Men movie like we've been getting for the past 6-7 years

There's a movie that will get glowing reviews from geek press and negative reviews from most everyone else.

Nope. I heard plenty of "funniest movie I've seen in a while" comments at my screening. 

I think Sony's thinking with the release date is that they have nowhere else to open it- May 30 was too close to Hangover, June 7 was the same weekend as another comedy and previously the date they were opening AE, late-June is crowded, July is a mess- but they know that Summer weekdays will work in their favor, and that the film can counterprogram the June action movies. 

Not to mention the budget is $25m so there's no way the film doesn't make them a profit. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Nope. I heard plenty of "funniest movie I've seen in a while" comments at my screening. 

I remember seeing Funny People. Opening night. Packed house. Whole audience loved it. And we saw what that did.

Its gonna make bank. But its a cast full of comedians past their popularity (Several including Rogen and Cera are downright box-office poison) in what looks like one big meta joke. Not sure public is going to flock, especially the same weekend as a mega-hit-in-the-making like Man of Steel.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

Why are people so high on DOFP ? The franchise hasn't been relevant for the better part of the last decade. The last movie was well-reviewed and it barely scraped past $150 million. The Wolverine movie appears to have very little buzz and may very well bomb. This franchise is nowhere near its peak and will be facing intense competition in July. I will be surprised if it make $225 million.

Because the franchise has always been X-Men vs Magneto, X-Men vs Magneto with another generic villain in the mix, X-Men vs Magneto vs humans, etc. This is finally something different, should be on a much larger scale, and also brings back the original cast (they probably won't be in the movie much, but the marketing won't tell audiences that)

• Like 1

Theres an ad on this website for the After Earth "official novelization", I wonder if that thing has sold at least 1,000 copies.

lmao Who buys those things anyway?

Edited by Jack Nevada

I remember as Simpsons episode where Bart for some reason wasn't allowed to see an Itchy and Scratchy movie so they bought him the novelization. I can only imagine how disappointing that would be lol

lmao Who buys those things anyway?

Die hards, but I mean...whos a die hard of this? Haha I mean can you seriously imagine someone who has kept up with AE since day 1, he sits in his room and spends his time doing AE research, has AE posters, mugs, t-shirts, action figures, coozies, and saw AE at the midnight premiere? And now hes gonna read the novelization to get further submerged in the AE world? If that guy exists, please, lets give him a cookie for being an original! And the one and only haha

btw I saw Epic today and the kids in the audience weren't digging it. Only a few laughs and no enthusiastic talking after the light came back on. I cant see the WOM being that great among families.

I remember seeing Funny People. Opening night. Packed house. Whole audience loved it. And we saw what that did.Its gonna make bank. But its a cast full of comedians past their popularity (Several including Rogen and Cera are downright box-office poison) in what looks like one big meta joke. Not sure public is going to flock, especially the same weekend as a mega-hit-in-the-making like Man of Steel.

Funny People is barely a comedy but advertised itself as one. Big mistake. This is the End is always a comedy. This isn't a bloated Apatow dramady. It's the funniest movie the Apatow actors have done since Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I think it'll be more audience friendly than you think. Everything the public doesn't like about these guys- Franco's arrogance, McBride's assholery, Jonah Hill's foray into dramatic roles, Rogen's 'selling out' of sorts in the last few years- is mocked front and center here. The only thing standing in the way of its success is Man of Steel, but WOM could very well save it.
  • Like 2

Die hards, but I mean...whos a die hard of this? Haha I mean can you seriously imagine someone who has kept up with AE since day 1, he sits in his room and spends his time doing AE research, has AE posters, mugs, t-shirts, action figures, coozies, and saw AE at the midnight premiere? And now hes gonna read the novelization to get further submerged in the AE world? If that guy exists, please, lets give him a cookie for being an original! And the one and only haha

The filmmakers are actually boasting about how AE can spawn a whole franchise with an expanded universe lol
  • Like 2

Posted Image