Which Franchise Finale Offered The Best Closure?

Simple topic. Which final film in a franchise setting had the best closure for that franchise. This isn't asking what the best final film in a franchise is, but rather which final film offered the best sense of closure and fulfillment to the characters in that franchise.

Obviously, franchises that are still ongoing can't be considered, though since reboots essentially press re-start, you can split franchises between pre-reboot and post-reboot (so for example you can consider Spider-Man 3, I don't know why you would but you can, since it concluded the Raimi/Maguire saga) iterations.

For me, the answer to this question is pretty clear:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUPK2tTx0tc

I can't think of a better send-off for the OS cast and ship than this. The Enterprise and the main characters clear Kirk and Bones of charges, team up to destroy the most dangerous ship in the galaxy, ensure that the Federation and Klingons are able to make peace, resolving the biggest recurring conflict in the franchise, and then the Enterprise is decommissioned with the main cast likely off to retirement from StarFleet, but not before one last joyride. It's the family's last great hurrah.

But the best is the signature bit at the very end of the film, a final personal send-off from each of the franchise's big players, really works.

• Like 2

I love the ST6 wrap-up. Other nice finishes: the original RETURN OF THE JEDI, THE LAST CRUSADE, RETURN OF THE KING.

I might have included ROTJ, but now Episode 7's a thing so Episode 9 will be the franchise finale.

Potter's finale is very good, if saccharine, but since it's taken from the book I can't give it too much credit for simply replicating existing closure.

I love DH2, even though I think the very final battle is all over the place, but the very final scene was an extremely fitting closure. Using the music from the end of the first film was perfect. Too sweet? Yes. But it moved me very much. 

What about the scene with the trio on the bridge? It was the very last scene with just them. It wasn't in the book. I thought it was great.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

I love DH2, even though I think the very final battle is all over the place, but the very final scene was an extremely fitting closure. Using the music from the end of the first film was perfect. Too sweet? Yes. But it moved me very much. 

What about the scene with the trio on the bridge? It was the very last scene with just them. It wasn't in the book. I thought it was great.

The bridge scene was a nice touch. The epilogue felt very nostalgic and close-circle, but like the book it felt a bit clunky.

Completely agree about ROTK, ROTJ, Last Crusade and TS3, and I'll add The Bourne Ultimatum to the mix. Bourne falling into the water, without us knowing if he's alive or dead; the news montage concluding the Blackbriar storyline and finishing by saying Bourne's body was never found; Julia Stiles' delightful knowing smile with 'Extreme Ways' starting to play in the background; Bourne regaining consciousness and swimming away into the darkness in a beautiful reversal of The Bourne Identity's opening scene. Pretty much perfect in my opinion, sent me out of the theater absolutely happy and with a huge grin on my face. 

• Like 1