Plain Old Tele

Battlefield: Earth (2000)

Battlefield: Earth (2000)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is one of the most inept "blockbusters" you'll ever see. On every level, it's absolute lunacy, and it's rare to find a project not only so poorly conceived, but with creators and collaborators so convinced of their genius. Had this been a typical studio project, it would've slid into development hell and never seen the light of day, but because it was a Travolta passion project, somehow it got made.Mankind devolving into cavemen in a few hundred years (the most neatly shaved, immaculately coiffed cavemen and women you'll ever see.); John Travolta wearing dreadlocks, gigantic platform shoes, and a giant codpiece; Forest Whitaker, looking woeful and sad that he's helping out his buddy John in this trainwreck; gratuitous cow abuse; absurd insta-plot developments; an ending built for a would-be sequel; fully-fueled F-18s that have been left in caves and are immediately ready to fly after 1000 years....It has to be seen to be believed. F(On the other hand, if you're a connoisseur of unintentionally hilarious cinema, then this is one of the gold standards of the modern age, and would warrant an A.)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 6

I am a pretty boring chap. I have only drunk to a point where I can't remember anything the next day twice in my life.

Watching this movie was one of those two moments. To this day I can't remember anything more after Travolta holds a guy over a cliff and asks if he can fly.

Fortunately I think the alcohol wound up killing less braincells than the movie would have if I was sober.