#ED

Wknd Est: Purge - 36.6M; FF6 - 19.7M; NYSM - 19.5M; Intern - 18.1M; Epic - 12.1M; STiD- 11.7M;

The Twitter stats were insane. Insane enough that I was skeptical about them being inflated somehow. That said, they had been strong for over a month.

They were and Krissykins brought my attention to it.

They could do a Purge movie every year.  The concept is just awesome and kinda impossible to run out of things to do for it.  If sequels happen, hopefully they explore the idea a lot more instead of making another generic home invasion movie.

The Fast and Furious characters would have a field day, or field night, with a Purge.

The Fast and Furious characters would have a field day, or field night, with a Purge.

And then the Man of Steel and The Avengers will have to come and save the day!

It did seem a terrible waste to take such an interesting concept (no matter how ridiculous) and just do a Strangers rip-off w/ it. So hopefully if they do a sequel they'll capitalise on it's real potential a bit more.

They could do a Purge movie every year.  The concept is just awesome and kinda impossible to run out of things to do for it.  If sequels happen, hopefully they explore the idea a lot more instead of making another generic home invasion movie.

Agreed...though certainly one of the challenges of really exploring the idea versus this film is...well, it probably becomes a much more expensive movie.

Over

Agreed-in the weekend predict thread I said I think that Purge, After Earth, Star Trek, IM3, TH3 and Fast 6 will all see some sizable drops next weekend.

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-purge-tops-565007

From writer-director James DeMonaco, The Purge --  costing a mere $3 million to make and already making its budget back -- is set in a future where one night a year all crime is legal. The film received a C CinemaScore, not unusual for the genre.
Edited by Jay Beezy

Holy crap what a huge OD for the The Purge, I remember I checked in here last night and Rth was saying around 15m so late night shows must've been crazy good.

And another solid day for Fast 6, it still managed to Fast Five for the day and looks to at least match that ones 20m 3rd weekend. Good stuff, if MOS doesn't completely decimate it next week, we can see it make a push for 250m. But, most likely it will land closer to 240m.

NYSM: What more needs to be said? This film is a beast, and is going to have a nice lengthy run. 120-130m looks reasonable to me.