#ED

Wknd Est: Purge - 36.6M; FF6 - 19.7M; NYSM - 19.5M; Intern - 18.1M; Epic - 12.1M; STiD- 11.7M;

FRIDAY 12 PM UPDATE: Universal‘s small miscreant horror pic The Purge grossed $3.4 million at Thursday 10 PM late shows and Friday midnights from 1,751 theaters. That’s a big number, even more so considering the budget was only $3M. Estimates now are for the pic to reach $28M this weekend. The other wide release movie opening today is Twentieth Century Fox/New Regency’s The Internship (3,365 theaters) which booked approximately $800K in Thursday late shows and Friday midnights. That beats The Campaign’s $625K which also was a comedy with two big but older stars ”so things are looking up,” an insider tells me. Reviews have been awful for the Vince Vaughn-Owen Wilson comedy from director Shawn Levy with every critic complaining it’s a 2-hour commercial for Google disguised as a laugher. But the real test may well be the CinemaScore to see if moviegoers like the execution of what was definitely an attractive high-concept. The studio sneaked the film last Saturday night to help word of mouth. But pre-sales have been soft: pic was passed for the #2 spot in online ticket sales Thursday by last week’s holdover, Lionsgate/Summit‘s Now You See Me. Right now Hollywood still doesn’t expect The Internship to even make $20M – which is the minimum that stars should open a pic – and more like $16M.On Thursday, Fandango noted The Purge comprised 54% of hourly online ticket sales, and Movieline 60%, as well as the #1 horror seller of the year as “a true phenomenon”.

As of this morning, projected weekend numbers for the

Top Six are: The Purge$28M, The Internship $16M, Universal’s moneymaker Fast & Furious 6 $16M,Now You See Me $15M, Sony/Columbia’s weak Will Smith holdover After Earth$13M, and Warner Bros’ The Hangover Part III $12M.

Edited by iTz OnLy ED

How will the Hangover make 12M? Oh Nikki... And with a 3M Thursday NYSM will only be able to do 15M?

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

That would be a terrible drop for Fast 6 and somewhat disappointing for Now You See Me

Those numbers are ridiculous for both.  They will both finish higher.

• Like 1

IMO, the most NYSM drops is just under 40%, that's what Super 8 dropped last year in its second weekend.  But I think it will drop softer than that.

I'm betting NYSM will drop less than 32% 

i hope you are right, but for that to happen to needs either a 90% bump today or a very big and uncommon bump Saturday.