mattmav45

Films that unexpectedly blew you away...

So many films to name, but off the top of my head:

Batman Begins ... it BLEW me away when I first saw it, in terms of just how DARK it was, and how seriously and respectfully it took the Batman character.

Taken ... what a unique, and awesome film that was, where I expected a generic action film.

District 9 ... totally blew me away as I didn't know what to expect going into it.

Terminator 1 and 2: what can I say, I was speechless the first time I saw both of those films. What more needs to be said?

Alien and Aliens: see above answer for Terminator :D

Jurassic Park: see above :P

E.T, Star Wars: same as above.

There are so much more, but these are just off the top of my head.

BB - really didn't care for Burton Batman and B&R was,well, lol.

ZDT - thought Hurt Locker was extremly forgettable so I was susprised how much I identified with Maya.

Thor - trailers were pure shit.

TA - I expected to like it but not to OMG love it.

IB - This takes the cake. I honestly didn't think even my man QT would pull of such a crazy concept. Boy was I wrong.

TDK - I was blown away by BB already but this...

• Like 1

The only movie that completely floored me was The Matrix. The first scene alone just completely blew me away.

I also got to mention Toy Story 3, I'm a big fan of Toy Story but time had passed and going in I didn't really know what to think of this second sequel. In the very first scene I got a lump in my throat and it didn't subside, still cannot see it without crying.

Just a couple

Goldeneye - Watched this film when i was about 9, was completely blown away by how cool James Bond was.

Cloverfield - This film really got my attention, just wanted to know more after the credits had rolled...

Edited by mrmrscott

Fellowship of the ring...my intro to Tolkein and my love grew from there. Went in without even knowing what the movie was called...walked out with a shocked expression on my face. I couldnt believe how great a movie it was.

Inception - Trailers were amazing as were the reviews. This movie cemented Nolans greatness for me after The Dark Knight. 

• Like 1

Speed Racer. To say I didn't see that one coming is a major understatement. Seriously, I only got the DVD because there was a 2 for 1 offer in a DVD store I frequent and I couldn't find anything more interesting to go with another DVD I actually wanted to buy. I had to force myself to watch it after I decided to watch all the DVDs I owned which I hadn't yet watched. Now, I can honestly say that Speed Racer is probably one of my favourite films of all time. 

Also, as a lot of other people have said, Cloud Atlas. Wachowski films seem to be turning up a lot here.