mattmav45

Films that unexpectedly blew you away...

These two films I had no idea they even existed, and only saw them on a chance commercial on TV during a Baseball game.  Talked to my wife, she said, "sure, why not?"  We went and... wow!

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (not going to lie, I cried a little bit at the end).

The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I would say Lawrence of Arabia when I was young

I was confused as I was 12 or so but I never saw a film with such amazing landscapes. 

I watched that last year on Blu-ray and I think its probably the most visually stunning movie ever made. 

• Like 2

Les Enfants du Paradis. (This is probably one of the movies that got me into film. I remember being totally amazed by the movie when I was really young) 

Weekend. I honestly don't know what to say about this movie. It changed my life, I cried and cried, and it was amazing 

Branagh's Hamlet. I was expecting a 4 hour long piece of regular shakespeare with its nice moments and its boring ones. But this kept my attention the entire way through. 

We Need to Talk About kevin

• Like 1

Django Unchained.  I had never seen a Tarantino movie before this one, and I was expecting a slightly above average western film.  The film blew me away though, and might even make my top 10. 

• Like 1

I would say Lawrence of Arabia when I was young

I was confused as I was 12 or so but I never saw a film with such amazing landscapes. 

I watched that last year on Blu-ray and I think its probably the most visually stunning movie ever made. 

Auto-like for both of you fine young gentlemen.

I'd probably say Dead Poet Society as well. We watched it in English Lit, and I totally anticipated a dry, boring, and awful movie, just like most other movies that were shown in that class, but this was totally amazing and really well done. Me and my class ended up re-enacting the final scene from that movie on our last day of class ever (also cus the teacher was retiring at the end of that year). 

• Like 1

Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 65mm (yeah the golden age of 65mm), and the 50th  Anniversary blu-ray was done with a 4K remaster. The image looks insanely good.

Cloud Atlas- I thought ti was going to suck but amazing film. One of the top films for me last year.

Perk of Being A Wall Flower- I think I only watched a trailer for this one time, I decide to go watch for Emma Watson. I was looking to just for Emma but I was not expecting the film to be amazing.

Oldboy- Just watched on Netflix, One of the best films of the last decade.

Take Shelter- Watched during the BFI London Film festival. I knew nothing of it. Blew me away to be one top 2 films of 2011.

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

One that blew me away was Million Dollar Baby. Watched it for the first time with the family, none of us had no clue what it was about. We just knew it won awards and stuff, so thought it might be good. Boy....that movie is probably one of my all time favorites. It's a really powerful movie, great dialouge, great story. Those who haven't watched should.

• Like 2

I could say How to Train Your Dragon, but I was excited for that since the beginning. But I ended up seeing it 5x in theaters, which is a personal record.

The film that turned me completely around was Tangled. I though it looked horrible from the trailers. I saw it on DVD, and it was spectacular.

Star Trek (2009) - Saw it in a Movie Gallery liquidation sale, bought it because a friend said it was good. I wasn't expecting much, but now it is one of my all-time favorite films

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Somehow as a kid I was completely oblivious to the Lord of the Rings books, somehow I hadn't even heard of them. Saw this film, and absolutely fell in love with it

The Hurt Locker - I'm generally not a fan of war films, but I knew this one won some big Oscars and I was able to buy it for $1. Isn't one of my all-time favorites, but I really enjoyed it when I thought I would hate it

Goodbye Bafana/The Color of Freedom - Had to watch this for a Management class at university, so naturally I thought it'd be a bore. Instead I really loved it and thought it was a powerful film (even if it was apparently extremely exaggerated)

Edited by jaredm2012