mattmav45

Films that unexpectedly blew you away...

Cloud AtlasPerks of Being a WallflowerSpirited AwayHow To Train Your Dragon These are the ones that took me completely by surprise in recent years.

You were looking forward to these films long before they came out :unsure:

3:10 to Yuma remake. Crowe getting on the train was one of the most honorable actions... then whistling for his horse was the most badass.

V for Vendetta made me lose half a night's sleep since I was emailing all of my movie-lover friends afterwards.

Seven - hadn't heard anything about it when I saw it. (Was a slave to my wife's Brad Pitt obsession at the time) And the ending left me nauseated... and loving it.

Terminator 2 - Saw it with my soon-to-be college roommate in the summer after graduating high school. When I looked over to see he was ASLEEP in the theater, I honestly questioned why I was friends with this guy who could doze off during what I thought was the most action-packed movie ever made.

• Like 1

3:10 to Yuma remake. Crowe getting on the train was one of the most honorable actions... then whistling for his horse was the most badass. V for Vendetta made me lose half a night's sleep since I was emailing all of my movie-lover friends afterwards. Seven - hadn't heard anything about it when I saw it. (Was a slave to my wife's Brad Pitt obsession at the time) And the ending left me nauseated... and loving it. Terminator 2 - Saw it with my soon-to-be college roommate in the summer after graduating high school. When I looked over to see he was ASLEEP in the theater, I honestly questioned why I was friends with this guy who could doze off during what I thought was the most action-packed movie ever made.

Haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma, but I whole heartedly agree with the rest.

Life of Pi. I had no expectations for this film, it ended up being the most beautiful story about faith I've ever seen.

Fantastic Mr. Fox. I though it would be just ugly stop motion, turns out Wes Anderson knows how to make an animation better than most animation studios.

• Like 1

The Grey and 3:10 to Yuma are great choices from this topic. Thought the Grey looked mediocre as all hell, and it turned out to be pretty brilliant. 3:10 to Yuma is still my second favorite movie (and favorite drama) from 2007- I like it a bit better than No Country For Old Men and much, much better than There Will Be Blood. 

I didn't think much of 3:10 TO YUMA. :ph34r:

I honestly don't remember much of it before they reach the town where the train is (except the fork murder by the campfire)... but the ending was brilliant in showing a villain gaining respect for his nemesis... and then doing something to honor him.  One of the best endings I can recall.

Yeah, 3:10 to Yuma's last half hour is on fire.  

Have to echo the thoughts on The Grey.  Expected a cheesy action flick and got a minimal survivalist film with deep themes.  Re-watched this a couple of weeks ago, and was even stronger than I remembered.

I thought 3:10 to Yuma was great when I was 14 years old and hadn't seen The Proposition and The Assassination of Jesse James yet. Now, don't get me wrong, I still think it has a lot going for it - top-notch production values, a handful of awesome performances, a surprisingly lovely score by Beltrami, a terrific ending - but Lerman's character has only become more annoying with time and overall it's definitely more conventional and less rich and eye-catching than some other modern westerns released in the past decade. It's very watchable and enjoyable in a wouldn't-change-the-channel-if-it-came-on sort of way, but I definitely wouldn't call it a great film today.

• Like 1