Dementeleus

Man of Steel (2013)

Man of Steel (2013)  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Outside the great main theme Zimmer was soooooo on autopilot while making the score. Just bleh.

Amen to that. And that main theme never really makes a full appearance until the credits... mostly it is just a chord progression throughout the actual film.

I couldn't help but feel that during the learning to fly sequence it was actually the music pulling Supes down, not the gravity... seriously, that scene deserves a soaring cue, and instead we get this heavy, high-gravity theme that never really takes off, and it is sorely disappointing.

How Zimmer was chosen to score not one, but two film series with previous iconic scores is unknown to me. Elfman's "Batman" and Williams' "Superman" are infinitely better than anything Zimmer brought to the table for these films.

Edited by jaredm2012
  • Like 3

Well this does it ! 

Like Spielberg and Soderbergh recently pointed out we are nearing the official death of cinema 

I won't be a part of it anymore 

Wake me up if Elysium delivers and forgive me for possibly ( if the reviews are at least somewhat decent ) watching Wolverine as I love the character but other than that ... 

Here's my review for MOS btw 

two words 

NOISE and NONSENSE 

3/10 

• Like 1

I'm honestly kinda disappointed. The story kind of lacked any real depth and just felt very 'fast-tracked'. One moment they were in one place, then all of a sudden something is happening. The main one being after the embrace between Clark and Lois and then it suddenly cuts to one of those infamous "there's-a-sequel-coming-and-this-scene-makes-that-crystal-clear" scenes.Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it but the action scenes felt very repetitive and just consisted of pretty much the same thing over and over again. And they tried to copy the "Hulk-Loki Smash" - failed miserably at it.Apart from that, the visuals were AAHHH-MAAZING and save it from getting a lower score.I felt it could've been so much more.6.5/10.0

Edited by Robertron of Oz
  • Like 1

Mos is a fun film but DC comic fans no longer have the moral high ground about quality after mos.

As MGS said, GL already proved that.

But also, I think Man of Steel is better than IM3. I think IM3 is a good film. How do I lose my "moral high ground?"

• Like 2

I'm honestly kinda disappointed. The story kind of lacked any real depth and just felt very 'fast-tracked'. One moment they were in one place, then all of a sudden something is happening. The main one being after the embrace between Clark and Lois and then it suddenly cuts to one of those infamous "there's-a-sequel-coming-and-this-scene-makes-that-crystal-clear" scenes.Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it but the action scenes felt very repetitive and just consisted of pretty much the same thing over and over again. And they tried to copy the "Hulk-Loki Smash" - failed miserably at it.Apart from that, the visuals were AAHHH-MAAZING and save it from getting a lower score.I felt it could've been so much more.6.5/10.0

A lot of us here noticed that actually. Sure, the visual is great, but the actions just got tired after a while when you've already seen it several times before. It's like a game of "let's see who can knock over more buildings"  :lol:

I also don't feel connected to the characters, pretty much, so it got boring fast for me. 

• Like 1

As MGS said, GL already proved that.But also, I think Man of Steel is better than IM3. I think IM3 is a good film. How do I lose my "moral high ground?"

DC comics fans got to serious and overhyped mos saying it will be the film to show how childish marvel films are...Now were are we lolz.

I think IM3 is better than MoS because it succeeded in what it set itself to be: An action comedy riding Avengers coattails which was its main ambition nothing more, nothing less.(Someone who expected a super serious movie and a deep reflection on Stark's post traumatic depression with RDJ spending the whole time being miserable in a cave set himself for deception)

MoS stumbled to be that super serious and deep superhero movie it wanted so bad to be. It wants to be an origin story, a Superman 1&2 remake into an Alien movie, a rewrite of Superman's mythos to be more "modern" but ultimately goes backwards relying on the past (Superman killing, Lois and lot of people knowing Clark is a super man but at the end, magical glasses appear just like STM, when it was supposed to be its own beast and not rely on that good ole trick anymore) . All at the same time. But choppy editing trying to mimic BB's recipe with flashbacks overload that never delves long into characters development because it is rushed to get to the bombastic action, ankward dialogue and situations (Pa Kent and the tornado), repetitive action beats and so on...Those execution flaws prevent it to achieve its delusion of grandeur and its goal.

When a movie set a bar and fails to reach it, it is not better than a movie that set a bar and nails it. You may reward the ambition according to your sensibility (Like "IM3 sucks because it's more comedic, MoS is better because the tone is more serious" or "IM3's ambition bar was low"...) but if it does not achieve the result brilliantly it aimed, you can only judge the result not the intention.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

As MGS said, GL already proved that.But also, I think Man of Steel is better than IM3. I think IM3 is a good film. How do I lose my "moral high ground?"

DC comics fans got to serious and overhyped mos saying it will be the film to show how childish marvel films are...Now were are we lolz.
  • Like 1

We don't need MoS to show how childish Marvel films are...

My expectations were tempered so much going in I actually kind of enjoyed it. The movie felt different from Marvel and that's probably about as much as I can hope for with DC. Cavill was surprisingly good, and I quite liked the washed-out look of it all.

But the pacing felt very weird, no doubt exacerbated by lots of flashbacks. There wasn't much build-up to key scenes, the audience was suddenly thrown into them. Nolan does this a lot but makes it work much better. The scene where he 'becomes' Superman, for instance, felt way too quick and I didn't even know how Clark came to be there in the first place. I knew the 3rd act action would be a Bayhem so when it started I just sat back and let my senses get destroyed.

If someone wanted to use this movie as exhibit A for 'why blockbusters suck now' I wouldn't disagree. It's been a crap summer and this movie didn't come close to saving it. Until there's some exciting Batman reboot news, there is no big movie in production I can honestly say I care about (Interstellar excepted). Blockbusters are worse now. Normally I'd put it down to me just getting older but... I think something has been lost.

PS - I assume Louis knew who Clark was in the final scene?

PPS - the neck snapping didn't bother me at all. Clark was clearly cut up about it and if this is a basis for his no-killing approach in sequels then fair enough. The city destruction was surreal but, as others have mentioned, it's a limit of the genre: as soon as you begin to approach the real consequences of these action scenes it becomes a very different movie. Perhaps a much more interesting one, but we'll likely never know.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

PS - I assume Louis knew who Clark was in the final scene?

She knew since she tracked him down by his 'real' name, Clark Kent.

That's why she said "Welcome to the PLANET"

Edited by ChD