#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

Just got back from my screening. Enjoyed it a lot, but wish the surround sound wasn't so ear-splitting. That is partially the fault of Snyder and Goyer for including very few quiet scenes for the last 90 minutes of the film. It is partially the fault of the sound designers for thinking it was a great idea to have constant high pitched screeching sounds (very Transformers-esque). And it was partially the fault of the theater people who had the speakers cranked to 20 on a scale of 10.

• Like 3

Just got back from my screening. Enjoyed it a lot, but wish the surround sound wasn't so ear-splitting. That is partially the fault of Snyder and Goyer for including very few quiet scenes for the last 90 minutes of the film. It is partially the fault of the sound designers for thinking it was a great idea to have constant high pitched screeching sounds (very Transformers-esque). And it was partially the fault of the theater people who had the speakers cranked to 20 on a scale of 10.

mind give any score to the movie?

mind give any score to the movie?

I'd give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. It definitely has some editing issues. Flashbacks were handled strangely (much weaker than the non-linear storytelling in BB or IM1). Not enough quiet character moments during the last 90 minutes. Zimmer's music isn't anywhere near as good as the stuff he came up with for the Batman movies. But the action is incredible and this is probably the biggest scale I've seen in a superhero movie. Very impressive from a visual standpoint. Acting was pretty good across the board, especially Crowe and Cavill.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

I'd give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. It definitely has some editing issues. Flashbacks were handled strangely (much weaker than the non-linear storytelling in BB or IM1). Not enough quiet character moments during the last 90 minutes. Zimmer's music isn't anywhere near as good as the stuff he came up with for the Batman movies. But the action is incredible and this is probably the biggest scale I've seen in a superhero movie. Very impressive from a visual standpoint. Acting was pretty good across the board, especially Crowe and Cavill.

Having read Superman comics and watched his cartoons growing up, how do you feel about MoS's Superman character?

Having read Superman comics and watched his cartoons growing up, how do you feel about MoS's Superman character?

I have not read any Superman comics. I vaguely remember the 90's cartoon, though it wasn't anywhere near as memorable as BTAS and I do not own STAS on home video. I remember loving the first two Reeve movies and still love them to this day. I'd say they are both better than MOS. In terms of the character, I didn't really have any problem with that aspect of the film.

My biggest problem with it at the moment is honestly that damn surround sound. When you pay $20 to watch a movie, you expect good sound but not over the top to the point that you lose your hearing. That's some bullshit on the part of the filmmakers and the theater employees for not doing a better job.

• Like 1

I have not read any Superman comics. I vaguely remember the 90's cartoon, though it wasn't anywhere near as memorable as BTAS and I do not own STAS on home video. I remember loving the first two Reeve movies and still love them to this day. I'd say they are both better than MOS. In terms of the character, I didn't really have any problem with that aspect of the film.My biggest problem with it at the moment is honestly that damn surround sound. When you pay $20 to watch a movie, you expect good sound but not over the top to the point that you lose your hearing. That's some bullshit on the part of the filmmakers and the theater employees for not doing a better job.

Thank you, red. If I can suggest you some good Superman stories, get John Byrne's Man of Steel and Mark Waid's Birthright and Kingdom Come. A lot of people suggest All Star Superman, but I feel the first three are the best iterations of the character. Edited by iKent

IM3 haters are more childish than the kid from the movie.

So you can come in here and rip MOS as often as you like as it's fine, but people express their dislike of IM3 and they are childish? 

hyp·o·crite[hip-uh-krit] Show IPA
noun
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Origin:

1175–1225; Middle English ipocrite  < Old French  < Late Latin hypocrita  < Greek hypokritḗs  a stage actor, hence one who pretends to be what he is not, equivalent to hypokrī́ ( nesthai ) (see hypocrisy) + -tēs  agent suffix

• Like 7

It isn't a Marvel vs. DC game, you know. A lot of people gave you hell for TASM as well, I expected better from you.

It's never a Marvel vs DC for me. Did I say TASM was my favorite SH movie of all time?