Plain Old Tele

The Lone Ranger (2013)

The Lone Ranger (2013)  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

why revisionist? I know almost nothing about US history.

Revisionist in that it takes extra pains to show an overly cynical and negative view of westward expansion in the late 19th Century. The first modern contemporary histories glamorized the Old West and Manifest Destiny. Then in more recent decades, historians have revised that outlook to be a lot more cynical and focused on greed and racial supremacy as the driving forces of the expansion west.It's not a question of what the right form of historical depiction is, it's simply me describing how TLR presents its view of the history of the West as opposed to other Westerns (particularly the classical ones of the 30s through 50s).
  • Like 1

I'm still puzzled how this got worse reviews than the first and third Transformers, I mean, no shaky cam, no offensive/stupid/grotesque humor and Verbinski can handle both spectacle and character moments much better than Bay.

Well, Transformers also has ties to Spielberg, and the critics tend to love him now. And anyway, who cares, we all know critics are assholes. If you enjoyed the movie, then you enjoyed the movie, no critic is going to change that.

I tried watching this and got bored after and hour and had to turn it off. My mate told me the final 3rd is pretty epic even though the rest is shit so ill have to give it another go at some point, maybe just fast forward the first 2 hours.

I'm still puzzled how this got worse reviews than the first and third Transformers, I mean, no shaky cam, no offensive/stupid/grotesque humor and Verbinski can handle both spectacle and character moments much better than Bay.

I think that expectations play into it. The first Transformers was far more entertaining than most critics were anticipating it would be. Then, by the time the third one came out, the bar had been lowered so far in the wake of Revenge of the Fallen that having something that they perceived as being even slightly better was enough for somewhat higher marks.

The Lone Ranger, on the other hand, has a director with a relatively strong track record, and the Verbinski/Bruckheimer/Depp teaming had paid large dividends before. The fact that it's a mess wasn't as much of a given from the get-go as it would be for a Michael Bay movie.

That said, I'll take The Lone Ranger over the Transformers sequels any day of the week. At least the moments when The Lone Ranger works are really inspired; it just doesn't have anywhere near enough of them to justify that 150-minute running time.

• Like 1

Because TF3 was entertaining and didn't drag as much as this film did.

I think that expectations play into it. The first Transformers was far more entertaining than most critics were anticipating it would be. Then, by the time the third one came out, the bar had been lowered so far in the wake of Revenge of the Fallen that having something that they perceived as being even slightly better was enough for somewhat higher marks.

The Lone Ranger, on the other hand, has a director with a relatively strong track record, and the Verbinski/Bruckheimer/Depp teaming had paid large dividends before. The fact that it's a mess wasn't as much of a given from the get-go as it would be for a Michael Bay movie.

That said, I'll take The Lone Ranger over the Transformers sequels any day of the week. At least the moments when The Lone Ranger works are really inspired; it just doesn't have anywhere near enough of them to justify that 150-minute running time.

Or maybe Transformers 3 was just the better film. I couldn't even sit through all of TLR, no wonder it got terrible reviews.

nop, TF3 was slightly better than TF2, still classifies as terrible though  :)

Yeah but come on, TLR wasn't even watchable (from my experience)I wish Gore would just direct the Pirates sequels, even though it's a tired franchise that series owes just as much credit to him as it does to Johnny Depp, if not more.

between you guys and GA i really thought htis was the dudest of duds 

it wasnt that bad i gave it a B- , wasnt great or moderately good but i think if only they had shortened this by a minimum of 40 mn it might have done way better at the box office , editing was a mess /pacing was whack  , i actually got up wash the dishes i used for dinner without pausing the film and came back and didnt feel like i missed anything , they were still riding around the desert 

but i'm maybe bias western as a genre i can't abide it bores the heck out of me ! the movie just felt there i didnt care one way or the other about any of the characters but since i never knew about a lone ranger before this film , my criticism is mild at best 

kinda reminds me of the other epic disney dud john carter, i'm always amazed at how some films reach release without red flags popping up at some executive or production level , i get after production has wrapped there's only so much you can do as actors move on to other projects whatev', but come on aren't test audiences a real thing ? who's the editor ? who gave it the ok that there wasnt more that could be done to salvage the movie?

• Like 2