CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Despicable Me 2 - 34M | The Lone Ranger - 9.67M | Kevin Hart - 4.9M

Mega-budgets aren't going anywhere.Yeah Disney struck out with TLR but they hit a home run with IM3.Disney will probably make much of their money back from a flop like TLR after the worldwide gross, home video, and tv rights, so it was worth the risk to try and find the next POTC.

• Like 2

I agree. I can never get really excited when a movie bombs. People's jobs are at risk. Their time and effort has been squandered.

I don't want a bomb either, but I try to view them as an opportunity for the industry to learn how to do and market a movie.

the groan ranger

i don't get the point of cinemascores. how can this turd movie have a B+. B+ is like 85%.

Because it's not a terrible movie.  It has issues imo but it's not horrible.

• Like 1

Mega-budgets aren't going anywhere.Yeah Disney struck out with TLR but they hit a home run with IM3.Disney will probably make much of their money back from a flop like TLR after the worldwide gross, home video, and tv rights, so it was worth the risk to try and find the next POTC.

With SW, Marvel and Pixar in their stable, Disney can afford a few flops like TLR and it would be like you and me misplacing 20 bucks somewhere.  It sucks, but in the big picture, it really doesn't matter all that much.

• Like 3

With SW, Marvel and Pixar in their stable, Disney can afford a few flops like TLR and it would be like you and me misplacing 20 bucks somewhere.  It sucks, but in the big picture, it really doesn't matter all that much.

And don't forget all the other things they have like theme parks, tv, etc
  • Like 1

I been saying this for days Baumer. The hate for the movie(before seeing it) is ridiculous.No one wins shit out of a movie flopping.The whole "they will make a better movie" is nonsense because the truth is, more garbage movies are on their way.

Edited by #Despicable ED
  • Like 4

It's a brillaint strategy.A combination of using proven formulas and experimenting to find the next big franchise.Most studios are scrambling just to find their proven formulas (i.e. Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar).
  • Like 2

Disney will chalk films like John carter and TLR up as unfortunate misfires.  Then they will sign a check over to Kevin Feige for about 300 million dollars and not even bat an eyelash.

I been saying this for days Baumer. The hate for the movie(before seeing it) is ridiculous.No one wins shit out of a movie flopping.The whole "they will make a better movie" is nonsense because the truth is, more garbage movies are in their way.

What do we gain if a movie like TLR succeeds.There are plenty of superior films to root for.

What do we gain if a movie like TLR succeeds.There are plenty of superior films to root for.

We? Perhaps nothing.Theaters, studios, production staff do gain something.If it flops?No one gets shit.

Wed

DM2 33-35,TFR 9-9.5,TH 5.1,MU 4.9,LME 4.5,WWZ 3.7,WHD 2.6, MOS 2.5,TITE 1.2, NYSM 550k

For those just joining us.

• Like 1

The thing about TLR that is galling is that Disney actually stopped the whole circus because of huge projected costs and concerns about the story...and then a handful of months later re-sent the green light with a budget equally as large as the first try AND a plot line with decidedly unfriendly stuff for kids, the bread and butter of its demo.

Unlike John Carter which was just an unfortunate misfire that didn't deserve its poor BO performance (that awful marketing), Disney was on notice that there were problems with TLR and essentially doubled-down. Far worse egg on their face here.

• Like 2

Because it's not a terrible movie.  It has issues imo but it's not horrible.

then whats horrible? after earth?

if lone ranger is horrible, and after earth is disastrous imo

it all depends on subjective scales..

ultimately 45m 5 day shows lone ranger is a disaster whether good WOM or bad, there havent been bums on seats

Edited by Halba