AniNate

Pixels | Chris Columbus | July 24, 2015 | Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage

That's the real reason why Amy Pascal is no longer running the studio. Sony and Paramount have horrible slates for the first half of this year. They should do better in the second half.

So you think she would have eventually lost her job over this year's slate, even if the email hacks hadn't happened?

This year s slate has nothing to do with Amy Pascal & the Sony leaks.

All these movies were in the pipeline a long time ago, it s just a bad coincidence.

They will have a decent fall & holiday slate but they are definitely thirsty for franchises.

• Like 1

Marvel doesn't own Men in Black though, it is a creator owned IP, so any studio can bid for it.

Looking at this deal it looks like somebody owned something

Variety reports that Marvel Enterprises is at it again, this time claiming that Sony employed “Hollywood accounting” to deprive it of merchandising royalties on Men in Black to the tune of $6 million.

In a suit filed Thursday in L.A. Superior Court, Marvel claims that although the first “MIB” grossed $493 million in worldwide revenues and “MIB II” grossed $275 million, Sony’s accounting says the films actually lost money. Specifically, Marvel claims accounting irregularities such as unexplained and excessive charges for advertising and overhead.

As explained in the complaint, “The Men in Black” comic was originally published by Malibu Comics, which was acquired by Marvel in 1995. In 1992, Malibu made a film deal with Columbia Pictures under which it would receive 35% of all merchandising income and 50% of income from merchandising of interactive rights, less fees.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/84411-marvel-sues-sony-for-men-in-black

Edited by AJG

Sony will still make money off of Spider man movies right?

From what I gather about Hollywood Accounting is that Disney will make more money from moving SpiderMan toys in one year, than Sony will from pushing out 3 of those movies.

If the deal involves Marvel Co-Financing the movie, with Disney helping out more with the advertising, than I guess Sony will probably see more money than they did last time.

Edited by AJG

Hell, I didn't know how advanced he is for his age.. Thought maybe he'd be excited for Dinos.. Adam Sandler wants to make your kid happy with this movie.. He sure loves making kids movies, him and Kevin James.. David Spade in this by chance???

He likes dinosaurs, but he's a bit on the young side right now. Pixar's dino movie is more up his alley. :lol:

• Like 1

Sony's 2015 is recalling Universal's 1998, where they released bomb after bomb after bomb after bomb (Patch Adams was really the only hit they had that year but it came too late to reverse the damage). Luckily Sony's fall/holiday slate looks promising.

• Like 1

Sony's 2015 is recalling Universal's 1998, where they released bomb after bomb after bomb after bomb (Patch Adams was really the only hit they had that year but it came too late to reverse the damage). Luckily Sony's fall/holiday slate looks promising.

Like Columbus's Stepmom helped Sony in holiday 1998?

Like Columbus's Stepmom helped Sony in holiday 1998?

? Sony had a generally decent 1998, although they didn't have many movies that they placed big bets on besides Godzilla (which was obviously a disappointment compared to the crazy pre-release expectations and marketing hype but based on the movie itself...duh). The Mask of Zorro was a really nice summer hit for them. Nothing went right at all for Universal that year besides Patch Adams at the very end.

Just read this old Box Office Guru column on Universal's terrible 1998 in their Studio Spotlight that they used to do at the end of the year (lol how long ago that was, I have been reading Box Office Guru ever since they first started which was around the same time I began to become really invested in movies/box office):

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/studio98_uni.htm

From what I gather about Hollywood Accounting is that Disney will make more money from moving SpiderMan toys in one year, than Sony will from pushing out 3 of those movies.

If the deal involves Marvel Co-Financing the movie, with Disney helping out more with the advertising, than I guess Sony will probably see more money than they did last time.

No money is exchanged in the deal.  Sony is still 100% financing all of Spider-man and marketing it.  Marvel is not taking any cut from it though I assume Sony has to pay Feige for producing unless Marvel loaned him out like slave labor.   

In exchange, Marvel gets Spider-Man free for their movies and they get to try and save the solo series so that it doesn't harm it's $1b a year Spider-man merchandise sales (which actually took a dip last year).