tommycruise

Actors who make movies better just by being in them

So basically what actors do you think improve the quality of a film just by being in it? Now that doesn't have to mean that they make the movie a masterpiece by merely showing up, but there are lots of actors who always put everything into a role, even if they haven't go much to work with.

Some actors who I think demonstrate this are

Michael Caine-Need I say anymore?

Gary Oldman- Great at everything he does and aside from Amanda Seyfried he was the only thing that made red riding hood watchable

Morgan Freeman-Always awesome when he appears on screen and I've pretty much enjoyed in his all of his movies that I have seen

Laim Neeson- This one should be pretty obvious

Ewan Mcgregor- Hands down one of the best things in the star wars prequels and also good in Jack the Giant Slayer

Tom Cruise- So he doesn't exactly always make the movie better, but of all of his movies that I've seen him in he has never been the problem

I know theres more but I can't think of any others off the top of my head right now. Please state what actors/actresses you think fall into this category

• Like 3

Ebert had a rule that stated any movie that Harry Dean Stanton was in couldn't be all bad.  I agree with him.

This is a great topic.

Some of mine:

Bill Paxton:  He is a star but not an A-lister.  Anything he is in is better because of it.  Tombstone, Titanic, True Lies, Navy Seal, and a litany of others.

Viggo Mortensen:  Sure he is well known now but before LOTR he was electric in films like The Prophecy and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3. 

Michael Biehn back in the day.  Tombstone, The Abyss, Terminator all benefited from his presence

Harry Dean Stanton:  just check his filmography

Michael Rooker:  One of my favourite character actors of all time.  In the late 80's and 90's he was everywhere.  He was a mean SOB in Mississippi Burning, one of Jim Garrison's assistants in JFK, a small role in Tombstone, Sly's buddy in Cliffhanger and even in bad movies like Here on Earth, he was a bright spot.

Al Leong:  You don't know the name but you know the face.  He is a Joel Silver bit player.  He played Endo in Lethal Weapon, the Asian dude who electrocutes Mel Gibson, he was also one of the bad guys in Die Hard, also Action Jackson all Joel Silver films.  Then he was in other films like Above The Law, Godzilla and Scorpion King.  It's just fun to recognize him.

• Like 1

Kate winslet and Leonardo dicaprio!! And when they're together....it's pure magic. Look no further than revolutionary road. Couldn't imagine how that film would have turned out with different leads.

• Like 1

So basically what actors do you think improve the quality of a film just by being in it? Now that doesn't have to mean that they make the movie a masterpiece by merely showing up, but there are lots of actors who always put everything into a role, even if they haven't go much to work with.

Some actors who I think demonstrate this are

Michael Caine-Need I say anymore?

Gary Oldman- Great at everything he does and aside from Amanda Seyfried he was the only thing that made red riding hood watchable

Morgan Freeman-Always awesome when he appears on screen and I've pretty much enjoyed in his all of his movies that I have seen

Laim Neeson- This one should be pretty obvious

Ewan Mcgregor- Hands down one of the best things in the star wars prequels and also good in Jack the Giant Slayer

Tom Cruise- So he doesn't exactly always make the movie better, but of all of his movies that I've seen him in he has never been the problem

I know theres more but I can't think of any others off the top of my head right now. Please state what actors/actresses you think fall into this category

You can't be a hater of Nolan's batman films right? :P

Edited by vc2002

To me, truthfully, not alot as I like seeing the actor on screen, usually the quality of the movie stands out,,,and a bad movie is a bad movie.

PS. Somewhere I started a topic on the likability of actors, which I think is different, as I can enjoy individual performances, but very few to raise a bad movie.

Actresses: Emma Stone, Zoe Saldana, Melissa McCarthy, Susan Sarandon, Tina Fey, Elizabeth Banks, Charlize Theron, Rachel McAdams, Chloe Moretz, Reese Witherspoon, Sigourney Weaver 

Actors: Chris Pine, Ryan Gosling, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon, Jim Carrey, Andy Samberg, Liam Neeson

AND ALL FRIENDS CAST

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Philip Seymour Hoffman. You can like more or less MI:3, but the movie deserves to be seen just for his appearances. And he will probably be a good reclaim to certain audiences to see Catching Fire. Superb actor.

• Like 1