Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

Every comedy this summer sans the Internship (which barely counts) has been an R rated raunch comedy. I think a breezy, PG-13 family comedy about summer can certainly find a place in this summer.

Yup, GU2 is poised be bigger than most want/think.
  • Like 4

Great Friday number for DM2. Should finish with 140-145 for the 5 day, incredible. 400 is nearly locked with that number. DM2's success also officially makes Illumination the new animation king of the domestic box office over Pixar. Compare their last 3 releases from lowest grossing to highest:

Cars 2/The Lorax: 191m/214m

Brave/Despicable Me: 237m/251m

Monsters U/Despicable Me 2: 300m/400m+

Illumination has a huge franchise and one other successful movie. Great for them, but they're basically where Dreamworks was eight years ago. When Illumination is producing hit after original hit every year for several years, then we'll talk about the Pixar comparison. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

Great Friday number for DM2. Should finish with 140-145 for the 5 day, incredible. 400 is nearly locked with that number. DM2's success also officially makes Illumination the new animation king of the domestic box office over Pixar. Compare their last 3 releases from lowest grossing to highest:

I don't get the comparison, both came out during separate years.

Edited by pieman
  • Like 1

I know i'm late about all these summer openings but still:

1st weekend: huge for IM3! First solo Marvel character to cross 400M since SM in 2002. Want part 4 for 2016.

2nd weekend: very great for Gatsby! Director will make more than his last 3 movies combined (R+J, MoulinRouge and Australia).

3rd weekend: quite good for StarTrek but i get the desillusion of the 100/300 believers. Still better than the SH2 situation.

4th weekend: so big for FF6. A 6th part bigger than the 5th, itself bigger than the 4th, itself bigger than the 3rd? Unheard of!

5th weekend: bad for AE. Can't believe Shyamalan didn't fix his credit with Will Smith. His future is very cloudy, now...

6th weekend: weak for TheInternship. Proof that a momentum won't last forever. WeddingCrasher is SO mid 2000's...

7th weekend: impressive for MoS. In 3 days, does more than half of Returns total. WB can breath after Potter & Batman ends.

8th weekend: very good for MU but also astounding for WWZ. Just the fact that we could have 3 movies over 50M (non-holiday!)...

9th weekend: bad for WHD. Lessen the Tatum/Foxx momentum but no career will stop (except someone at Sony?). And Emmerich will come back big!

Now: huge for DM2. A animated in the SummerTop3, for sure. TLR? Can we say Bruckheimer quite lost his touch?

PacificRim!

Elysium!

• Like 5

• Founder / Operator

I don't think Illumination compares to Pixar pre-Cars 2 at all, but in terms of current box office power--that's where I think there's some growing validity to it.

• Like 1

oh boy :rolleyes:

I don't think Illumination compares to Pixar pre-Cars 2 at all, but in terms of current box office power--that's where I think there's some growing validity to it.

Despicable Me is the closest thing to a great movie they've produced but still not great per say. Illumination is building itself up as a brand-name like Pixar is. Audiences are starting to trust them.

• Like 1