Punishment

What makes a bad movie?

So I was wondering, what is considered a bad movie to you?

Is it a movie that gets critically panned (poor RT average/Metacritic scores)?

A movie that receives a poor grade on IMDb (say 5 or below)?

A movie that performs poorly at the box office (below expectations/not making its budget)?

Is it a combination of these?

Or is it just your personal opinion (you think movie A is good, but I think it's crap therefore it is bad)?

Figured I would throw it out there with all the discussions (putting it mildly) I see on the forum about people's opinions on movies.  I doubt we will come to a consensus, but it should be fun :)

When it bores me. A movie being boring is the worst thing; at least trainwrecks can be entertaining (Last Airbender, Spider-Man 3, The Call), but when a movie is boring (Contagion, World War Z, Green Lantern), that's the worst thing

I also feel that a bad movie is one that I do not like personally, all of us have our personal tastes in movies.  But I think a bad movie to the general audience is one that receives both an RT average rating below 5 (or Metascore below 50) and an IMDd median (not average) rating below 6.  I also look at the IMDd rating of the top 1000 voters to gauge how well a movie is received.

Here is an example of a truly "bad" movie as perceived by the general audience:

A Sound of Thunder

2.8 RT average rating (6% fresh)
24 Metascore
4 IMDd Median rating
4.2 IMDd rating from to 1000 voters

Votes  Percentage  Rating
555 Posted Image 4.2% 10
189 Posted Image 1.4% 9
484 Posted Image 3.7% 8
973 Posted Image 7.4% 7
1559 Posted Image 11.8% 6
1983 Posted Image 15.1% 5
1893 Posted Image 14.4% 4
1882 Posted Image 14.3% 3
1589 http://i.media-imdb.com/images/rating/neutral.gif 12.1% 2
2058 http://i.media-imdb.com/images/rating/neutral.gif 15.6% 1

Edited by Punishment
  • Like 1

You define what you consider a "bad" movie, although when you're pushing your opinions on others you have to consider the general consensus as well. It's not right to make insinuations about a film's fans/haters just because you don't agree with them, even if they are professional critics.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

So I was wondering, what is considered a bad movie to you?

Is it a movie that gets critically panned (poor RT average/Metacritic scores)?

A movie that receives a poor grade on IMDb (say 5 or below)?

A movie that performs poorly at the box office (below expectations/not making its budget)?

Is it a combination of these?

Or is it just your personal opinion (you think movie A is good, but I think it's crap therefore it is bad)?

Figured I would throw it out there with all the discussions (putting it mildly) I see on the forum about people's opinions on movies.  I doubt we will come to a consensus, but it should be fun :)

Anything below 6.5 on IMDB is probably shite. The lowest movie I've watched on IMDB and I liked it was probably The Lovely Bones.

Edited by ChD

When it bores me. A movie being boring is the worst thing; at least trainwrecks can be entertaining (Last Airbender, Spider-Man 3, The Call), but when a movie is boring (Contagion, World War Z, Green Lantern), that's the worst thing

I agree.  Being flat out boring is the worst crime of all a movie can do to you (Tree of Life, The Hobbit, The Artist, There Will Be Blood... etc).  I'll never see any of those movies again.