#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

FAST & FURIOUS 6: $467.7M Overseas Total / $704.2M Global Total. #Fast6

DESPICABLE ME 2 scored $55.5 overseas this weekend, $243.2M total--nearly double what the original grossed in the same time span.

THE PURGE: $12.3M Overseas Total (14 Territories) / $76.1M Global Total. #ThePurge

• Like 2

GU had a lot of stars in it.  James and Sandler were huge at the time so it's obvious people rushed out to see it.  That's why it fell 53% in the second weekend.  AND it was the July 4th weekend, in which everything fell hard that weekend.  Sometimes you have to paint the whole picture to tell the tale, not just part of it that supports your opinion.  The 4X and late legs are what matters.  

After the second weekend, it fell 17, 37, 25 and 38% in the coming weeks.  

I completely agree with you. It had a stellar run 3 years ago and WOM no doubt was great on it.  :D

• Like 1

Jesus, did someone mow down the holdovers with a machine gun Commando style?

Also, as for the whole PR vs GU debate, though I enjoyed PR more than GR2, to say that people are "stupid" and the "death of society" for liking a movie that isn't as "high art" as your taste is the most pretentious and asinine thing in the world. 

• Like 2

Jesus, did someone mow down the holdovers with a machine gun Commando style?

Also, as for the whole PR vs GU debate, though I enjoyed PR more than GR2, to say that people are "stupid" and the "death of society" for liking a movie that isn't as "high art" as your taste is the most pretentious and asinine thing in the world. 

I'd find it very hard not to think someone's a bit simple (or 'retarded' if we're being politically correct) for liking GU2. I just can't help it.

Can anyone offer proof that WB didn't care about PR? I mean did an executive say something?

There's a quote of mine in the Pacific Rim thread from a year and a half ago when I met someone in the industry at SXSW.  He said that WB was over the moon about the movie and they were going to go all out with marketing.  

At the time, that got me freaking excited.  I mean, WB got three hour long, R-Rated superhero movie to open to $50+ in March(yes, it had terrible legs, but it opened).

It's clear that something happened a long the way.  Was it the split with Legendary?  Did they decide to sacrifice PR to focus more on Man of Steel and a DCU?

Who knows?

• Like 1

Can anyone offer proof that WB didn't care about PR? I mean did an executive say something?

They didn't have anything to lose on it. It wasn't even their movie it was Legendary Pictures. Warner Brothers helped with about 25% of the budget.

I'd find it very hard not to think someone's a bit simple (or 'retarded' if we're being politically correct) for liking GU2. I just can't help it.

Well, that's just wrong. I did't enjoy it, I thought it was unfunny, juvenile, and a huge drop off, but to call someone who disagrees "retarded" is just an absolute wrong thing, period. 

• Like 2

Being released in the summer probably help as well.

Sure it helped but 2nd, 3rd and 4th weekend holds showed it had strong WOM. If it had bad WOM like you're claiming movie would have disappeared quickly instead it legged it's way to over 162M. Pretty impressive when you look at it. ;)  :D  

• Like 1