#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

This movie has a $200 million budget so the rule of thumb says it needs to make 400 million WW to break even. I don't think that's a tall order if it keeps doing well in Asia. People are being too hasty here by completely writing this off. This won't be a massive hit obviously but that doesn't mean it is a failure.

Depends if it makes 250 overseas but only about 90 domestic then that wouldn't be enough

This movie has a $200 million budget so the rule of thumb says it needs to make 400 million WW to break even. I don't think that's a tall order if it keeps doing well in Asia. People are being too hasty here by completely writing this off. This won't be a massive hit obviously but that doesn't mean it is a failure.

Again with this double the budget thing. That's not nearly enough.

Depends if it makes 250 overseas but only about 90 domestic then that wouldn't be enough

I am expecting big numbers from China and Japan so 300 million overseas should happen and 100 million domestic may still happen. depending on the WOM

The problem is I would like a sequel, and doing "ok" is almost as bad as a total bomb. Sadly, when it comes to the chances of a sequel there's not much difference between 40 mil and 400 mil WW. If it somehow breaks out overseas and does 550+ WW there might be a small chance, but that doesn't seem likely.

It's one of the greatest cases of misleading marketing.

Why does everyone do this? I always hear people complaining about misleading marketing or trailers that lied to you.

Trailers and advertisements have exactly one job, get your ass in a seat.  When it works, it did it's job.

I guess I should bitch about the misleading trailers for Pacific Rim?  Those trailers lied to me!  I thought this movie was going to be terrible, instead it's fucking awesome!

• Like 5

Why does everyone do this? I always hear people complaining about misleading marketing or trailers that lied to you.

Trailers and advertisements have exactly one job, get your ass in a seat.  When it works, it did it's job.

I guess I should bitch about the misleading trailers for Pacific Rim?  Those trailers lied to me!  I thought this movie was going to be terrible, instead it's fucking awesome!

That's not what he's saying. We were told we were getting a Godzilla film. instead we got a roided-out iguana.

I had been complaining about PR's trailers making it look bad to the GA, but now having seen the movie I actually think they made it look good. They mostly cut out the shitty character/story aspect in favor of the awesome money shots. I could have come in for PR's last hour when the action started and left much more satisfied than having seen the whole thing. But then the problem with only showing the action in marketing was that the GA generally needs a human connection to be appealing. But in my opinion PR doesn't have an appealing human element to offer, so it was kind of fucked in terms of how to market it. I can actually understand why WB took the route they did though now. The movie was never gonna sell if it had to sell on its characters so they just decided to hide that part.

Misleading marketing is both good and bad for a movie. On the one hand it can help stir interest in moviegoers, on the other hand it can also make them angry especially if the movie is nothing like they expected.

Also you just said one of the main reasons why Pacific Rim failed.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

Yall do realize trailers arent the only marketing right? More people see a character on a Doritos bag than in a trailer. Trailers, tie-ins, TV promotion (sneek peaks, interviews, contests), music/radio, billboards, posters, online ads, character appearances, social media, games (console and apps), tie-in books, etc. You cant only use lack of trailers for bad marketing. There still people who dont realize you can watch them on Youtube, yet they go to Walmart or Target and see that character everywhere. Marketing is a wide field.

• Like 4

Misleading marketing is both good and bad for a movie. On the one hand it can help stir interest in moviegoers, on the other hand it can also make them angry especially if the movie is nothing like they expected.

Also you just said one of the main reasons why Pacific Rim failed.

It's a complaint I hear most when talking about SM3.  Everyone blames the kick ass trailer that was released!  I'm sorry, that is just asinine.  The trailer did it's job, the movie didn't.