baumer

Fruitvale Station (2013)

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The movie is uncomplicated in what you're ultimately supposed to feel about Oscar, but the character study Coogler creates is powerful because of how complicated it is, and that's what makes this movie work. Oscar is a guy who from his time in prison to cheating on his girlfriend to losing his job to on the risk of not paying rent to on the verge of returning to drug dealing had screwed up a ton. But I still fell for him, because this is a guy trying to do the right thing, and Michael B. Jordan brings so much nuance to this role that I believed all of it. This could have easily been a film where the event was the entire story and we feel for Oscar because, like anyone in this real-life situation, we would feel sorry for him. But Coogler doesn't take the easy way out. Instead, he writes and directs a gorgeous portrait of this life. They don't gloss over the ugliness is Oscar's life, and as a result, its beauty shines out. 

There's a lot worth talking about here, from Jordan's performance to Spencer's to Diaz's (she gets less to do but there's a scene where she slaps her hands on her legs out of fear and anger and sadness and through the way she conveys it you're right there with her emotions) to Rachel Morrison's cinematography (a rare situation where shakycam photography really works) to how much this movie does with such a short running time (for 85 minutes it's pacing is pretty much perfect). There's also a conversation to be had about what details Coogler leaves out (reportedly the officer who shoots Oscar said beforehand that he's going to tase him that's not in the movie, but the movie still portrays this guy as not knowing he was going to shoot him) and how they add or subtract this story, because I don't think there's a clear answer.

Fruitvale is one of the most memorable films of the year so far. True stories are a minefield when it comes to emotionally manipulating an audience, but this is a film where the reality of this situation made for a positive experience for me. 

A-

• Like 6

You said it better than I could, Gopher. It's been awhile since I've been so emotionally shaken by a film while its credits rolled, and I think a lot of people in my audience felt the same way. I've rarely seen one that's taken so much time to file out of the theater. This is a thoroughly gutwrenching character study that also has bigger things to say about how prejudice on all sides can contribute to such a tragic event.

A

One little peeve I have, though: Wall-E came out in 2008, not 2007.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

The most tragic, heartbreaking, and gutwrenchingly sad film that I've ever watched. First film to get me misty eyed in years. It's brilliantly made on every level, but I'll just let Gopher sum it up because it's too hard of a film for me to talk about. 

Also, if there's five better lead actor performances than Michael B Jordan this year, it's the greatest year for acting in easily a decade. Give that man his nomination.

A

• Like 2

That took me out of the movie way more than it should have. Weird lack of attention to details. Someone should've looked it up or just use Ratatouille instead. :lol:
  • Like 2

A richly compelling film which does occasionally succumb to Oscar-bait like manipulation of events, largely during the first third or so. It really hits its stride during the second half, when it begins to delve more deeply into Grant's struggles, creating a lingering sense of dread as the film heads toward its bitter end and also showcasing Jordan's strengths. Grant actually becomes more sympathetic in the second half, as it becomes clear that he isn't merely a nice guy who was dealt a bad hand of cards but rather a human being actively trying not to let his weaknesses get the best of him (especially since he was on parole at the time of his death.) Films usually do not get to me on an emotional level, but even I was dreading the moment that the fatal confrontation would come to fruition. The inevitable artistic license ultimately does not detract from the film's overall message, and the film certainly is a great example of compassionate filmmaking, celebrating life rather than politicizing a tragedy.

9/10

This movie has really stuck with me since I saw it yesterday. I wasn't expecting to be affected the way I was. It was a B+ movie until the last 30 minutes, which completely blew me away. I was teary-eyed and about to lose it by the end. Such emotional storytelling that really hits home.

A-

• Like 1

Definitely a good movie.  I saw this as part of a triple feature on Friday and glad I was able to do so.

I can't add on to much from what already has been said so I won't.

Easily one of the better films I have seen this year.

A-

A powerfully acted and well done film, however the predictability of the whole thing kept it from really resonating with me. I wasn't very  familiar with the actual event, but even still I knew how everything in the movie was gonna go several scenes before it played out, so it couldn't help but feel a tad on the generic side for me. If it wasn't based on a true story I don't think I would have been affected by it much at all and it would have been forgettable.

But the fact that it actually happened coupled with Michael B. Jordan's fantastic portrayal did give the film a definite heart. Hope he gets some acting recognition for this because the film really succeeds wholly on his merits of making you care about the character. Just wish I didn't find myself bored by the inevitability of the film at so many points.

B+

Edited by MovieMan89

A

I saw the movie today.  Wow.  The very last scene had me in tears.  I went to the bathroom afterward and started bawling.  Michael B Jordan's performance gave life to the character which made Oscar's demise even more powerful.  Surprisingly, the movie helped me see flawed inner city youths like Oscar in a more nuanced way.  I understood that underneath Oscar was a good person, a family man, who felt he had to make the choices he made (selling dope) given his upbringing, financial struggles, and lack of alternative options.  He made some bad choices but he's really a good person though, at the core.

I also saw a warrior, someone with an innate sense of self respect.  During the altercations with the police, I kept saying "Why are they getting up?!... "Why are they arguing with the police?!...just sit tight".  While that is true and what they should have done, Oscar and his friends ARE grown men who felt they were worthy of respect and weren't going to let anyone (police or otherwise) abuse their rights.  Not judging the right and wrong, just saying that I understand now, more so than ever.  I would have probably taken a beating and asked, "Please sir, may I have another" but part of the reason why is because I don't have the inner strength that Oscar and his friends had that night. 

As far as the technical aspects, I enjoyed the direction in this film.  The use of long interrupted shots,  great acting, good staging, lighting.  Everything was expertly shot.  Top notch effort.  I look forward to Coogler's career with great interest.  Michael B Jordan and Ariana Neal (played the daughter) did fantastic jobs and are deserving of Oscar consideration (along with Coogler).

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2

That took me out of the movie way more than it should have. Weird lack of attention to details. Someone should've looked it up or just use Ratatouille instead. :lol:

Add me to this annoyance. I'm still bothered by it. :lol:

On the actual movie: I can't agree more with everyone in this thread. I felt like the opening was just eh and manipulative, but then I realize just how great it was later on. This is the best movie of the year so far. Jordan gives an amazing performance as Oscar, and it'll be a shame if he does not get nominated later this year. I also crushed by the ending, and shed a few tears. Very emotional movie, and a very great one. A+

Overall the movie is good but I did not love this film. It felt generic to me. I thought the middle of the film was slow. I like the third act and wish there would have been more to the end of the film since I the end felt rushed to me. Micheal B. Jordon does a great job and is the best thing about the film. The movie is emotional and is a tearjerker With out him this would have been an average film. Overall I would rather watched a documentary on what happened. 

B-

It's a good debut from Ryan Coogler,  but it needed to be 20-30 minutes longer. With so little time to get to know these characters I honestly didn't get the gut-punch I wanted from the ending.

Michael B. Jordan and Octavia Spencer are both terrific here and it is a competently directed movie, especially from a first time filmmaker, so it's between a 2,5/4 and a low 3/4.

Edited by Merry Xmas From JackNevada