Punishment

Weekend Actuals 7/12-7/14

Two years ago today was DH2's opening day. :(

Time flies ... I remember my theater in a city of only 25,000 had 5 midnight showings ... and 3 were sold out ... and the other two were 1/2 full.  Pretty crazy experience.  Busiest midnight by far I've been too ... and of course, it makes sense since it did 43.5 million. ;)

DH2's midnight was by far the best theater experience I've had. Such a crazy amount of energy and excitement. 

Yeah, either that or The Dark Knight had to be my favorite.

BTW, DH2 midnight would have nearly been the #1 movie of this weekend. :lol:

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

And pretty much became instant classic.

Some interesting nuggets:

Ironically, though, when the concept of the picture made the rounds of studios in the mid-eighties, it was pitched as "Rambo in an Office Building." Sylvester Stallone's bare-chested, machine-gun-toting hero was all the rage then; his franchise was the one that studios wanted to rip off.

It was a sweet surprise that a cynical cash-in ended up being one of the most exciting films of its time. "Die Hard" began life as a concept, or a "package", basically an idea without a script or a star. When it was announced that some guy named John McTiernan would direct the picture based on his success with "Predator" (basically "Alien" plus "Rambo"), and that the hero would be played by a wisecracking TV star named Bruce Willis, and that Willis would earn the then-unthinkable sum of $5 million for his efforts, the Hollywood press thought it was another example of the suits considering every angle except the one that really mattered: the story. 

More here: http://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/die-hard-in-a-building-an-action-classic-turns-25

• Like 3

multiplier is only 2.26x

will finish around $295m.

very frontloaded esp with midnights/previews

ultimately a ROTTEN movie

Currently 2.26

If it finishes at 290M, it will fall on 2.5x

680M WW.  :rolleyes: