CJohn

The Conjuring 2 | June 10, 2016 | Let the RT Watch commence.

27 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You've misunderstood the analogy.

Analogy being: something similar/spin off was released between sequels and diluted interest. 

If Conjuring 2 opens less than Annabelle, it's a perfect analogy. 

I understood that analogy. I am saying that unlike GRUDGE1 diluting interest for a movie that followed it in a few months (just making that assumption for the sake of the discussion), ANNABELLE could not have diluted the interest looking how closely it released to CONJURING1, it's reception and bo, and the gap between ANNABELLE and CONJURING2.

RING1 - OCT 2002

GRUDGE1 - OCT 2004 (2 Years after RING1)

RING2 - MARCH 2005 (5 months after GRUDGE1)

CONJURING1 - JULY 2013

ANNABELLE - OCT 2014 (1 year after C1)

CONJURING2 - JUNE 2016 (2 years after ANNABELLE)

Not that C2 can't/won't fall from C1. I don't see how that potential fall has anything to do with a spin-off that came 2 years before it. It is nothing like R2 following G1 in 5 months.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I'm still hoping slashers make a return. 

It's not that I have anything against haunted house horror. It's just that they're all basically the same, they all have the same paint-by-numbers plots (at least the mainstream ones), and the market is oversaturated with them. We're in dire need of some fresh ideas here.

Edited by The Stingray

Fucking insane. Loved it. It is nerve wrecking from the early beginning and the last 20 minutes are insane over the top shit that made my mind explode. Hail James Wan.

• Like 6

I think the critics are being harsh on this film. This is a TERRORIZING film from start to finish, and IMO a better film than the first one. This movie was cocky in its scares too. It knows it will scare the hell out of you. I really think this is the best pure horror film to come out in years. Think it was way better than the babadook and it follows. Loved that character arcs come full circle in this movie, and not left at the door. From the freaked out girl, her family, to trauma she has to deal with in her social life, to the relationship between Ed and Lorraine warren. Character arcs are completed and they're definitely different people from the start of the film to the end. There are some slight pacing issues, but I don't think it's a big deal bc most horror films like this one have a slow build up. Sign me up for a trilogy. Much better than that abomination Annabelle. I give it an A.

• Like 5

65 on Metacritic with 29 reviews and 72% on RT so far. That's good for mainstream horror. Normally, they get ripped apart by critics. Only indie horror films have been well reviewed lately.

Edited by movieboner

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I think the critics are being harsh on this film. This is a TERRORIZING film from start to finish, and IMO a better film than the first one. This movie was cocky in its scares too. It knows it will scare the hell out of you. I really think this is the best pure horror film to come out in years. Think it was way better than the babadook and it follows. Loved that character arcs come full circle in this movie, and not left at the door. From the freaked out girl, her family, to trauma she has to deal with in her social life, to the relationship between Ed and Lorraine warren. Character arcs are completed and they're definitely different people from the start of the film to the end. There are some slight pacing issues, but I don't think it's a big deal bc most horror films like this one have a slow build up. Sign me up for a trilogy. Much better than that abomination Annabelle. I give it an A.

I am glad I am not the only one thinking it is better than the first. The whole thing is nerve wrecking, terrifying and the damn movie knows it! The damn movie knows you are shitting your pants and it doesn't care. It will keep fucking up with you more until the grand finale that is stunning and over the top crazy. My whole group of friends was just commenting how it was such a scary and intense experience when it ended. James Wan is truly a horror master.

• Like 2

The scares I absolutely did not see coming in any way, shape or form:

Spoiler

-When the evil demon puts his hand on the old man while Lorraine is talking to him.

-When the old man shows up in the water.

-And when Ed is going through the house at the end and sees the rotating crooked man thing and the face shows up from behind it, rips the whole ceiling apart and comes from the other side, the whole scene is just haunting and left me shaking after jumping on my seat.

And the whole movie is just so dark and intense. Even my friend who is a big horror movies fan was like "holy crap man, I just don't remember coming out of a horror movie feeling like this". He loved it too. Other friend of mine kept saying how much better, insane, intense and scary it was compared to the first (he saw the first at home yesterday for the first time). 

• Like 4