kitik

Weekend est pg 22 - 2 Guns 27.4, Wolv 21.7, Smurfs 18.2

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/smurftastic-start-sequel-opens-to-modest-5-6m-domestic-but-big-international-hopes/

FRIDAY 12:30 PM, 3RD UPDATE:

$10M-$11.5M and a possible overperforming $32M weekend.

And only in #3 is Sony Pictures Animation‘s The Smurfs 2 with only $5M today and a disappointing $16M weekend.

late night Friday Nikki update:
1. 2 Guns (Emmett-Furla/Universal) NEW [Runs 3,025] R
Friday $9.8M, Weekend $27.0M
2. The Wolverine (20th Century Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,924] PG13
Friday $6.4M (-69%), Weekend $18.7M, Cume $92.0M
3. The Smurfs 2 (Sony Animation) NEW [Runs 3,866] PG
Friday $5.7M, Weekend $18.0M, Cume $27.5M
4. The Conjuring (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 3,115] R
Friday $4.1M, Weekend $12.5M, Cume $107.4M
5. Despicable Me 2 (Illumination/Universal) Week 5 [Runs 3,207] PG
Friday $3.0M, Weekend $10.1M, Cume $326.3M
6. Grown Ups 2 (Columbia/Sony) Week 4 [Runs 3,075] PG13
Friday $2.3M, Weekend $7.1M, Cume $115.2M
7. Turbo (DreamWorks Animation/Fox) Week 3 [Runs 2,985] PG
Friday $1.9M, Weekend $6.2M, Cume $69.3M
8. Red 2 (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 3 [Runs 2,755] PG13
Friday $1.6M, Weekend $5.6M, Cume $45.1M
9. The Heat (20th Century Fox) Week 6, [Runs 2,074] R
Friday $1.3M, $4.2M, Cume $149.1M
10. Pacific Rim (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 4 [Runs 1,803] PG13
Friday $1.1M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $92.1M

Edited by kitik
  • Like 1

Actually 2 Guns was a 40m movie..universal screwed it up with terrible marketing

30 million isn't bad when you consider it was originally tracking for a 20 million opening weekend, and its midnight numbers were poor. I agree that marketing was ho-hum though.

Also its budget is only 61 million (depending on where you look).

And those numbers aren't from Nikki. She's on vacation.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Actually 2 Guns was a 40m movie..universal screwed it up with terrible marketing

I'm not sure they screwed it up with terrible marketing at all.  The marketing has been quite ubiquitous for the last two weeks.  I don't think they could have really done much to make it look better because it's really not that great of a movie.  However, the one thing it could have done better is included Paula Patton and Bill Paxton in their marketing.  Why do studios forget the rest of their cast?  They did it with RIPD and they did it with this one.  Showing just DW and MW is just silly imo.  Patton is smoking hot and Paxton has been around longer than both of them.  Leaving them out was ridiculous imo.

I'm surprised 2 Guns cost $60m, I would have thought $80-85m considering its Denzel with Walhberg unless both took a salary cut in exchange for a higher back end. Denzel has The Equalizer which apparently costs $50m.Smurfs did poorly but OS will save it and we will still get a third film.

• Like 1

However, the one thing it could have done better is included Paula Patton and Bill Paxton in their marketing.  Why do studios forget the rest of their cast?  They did it with RIPD and they did it with this one.  Showing just DW and MW is just silly imo.  Patton is smoking hot and Paxton has been around longer than both of them.  Leaving them out was ridiculous imo.

Huh? When did Paula Patton and Bill Paxton become draws?

• Like 1

I'm not sure they screwed it up with terrible marketing at all.  The marketing has been quite ubiquitous for the last two weeks.  I don't think they could have really done much to make it look better because it's really not that great of a movie.  However, the one thing it could have done better is included Paula Patton and Bill Paxton in their marketing.  Why do studios forget the rest of their cast?  They did it with RIPD and they did it with this one.  Showing just DW and MW is just silly imo.  Patton is smoking hot and Paxton has been around longer than both of them.  Leaving them out was ridiculous imo.

While it’s arguable if 2 Guns is a good movie or not, I still believe that marketing was pretty bland with trailers that didn’t get much enthusiasm. Safe House managed 41 million and that only had Ryan Reynolds in it, I don’t see why 2 Guns couldn’t have done the same with the right kind of marketing.

It’s still good to hear that it made more than WHD, especially given that it’s midnight number was low.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

67% drop for Wolverine and an horrible, HORRIBLE, number for Smurfs. Coming after Monsters, DM2 and Turbo isn't helping it. Just WTF?

EDIT: Planes and Percy Jackson will kill his legs and those 2 are also DOOMED.

Edited by CJohn

Safe House had the Super Bowl ad boost. That's a real phenomena. It also helped that movie was released in February when viewers didn't have a lot of movie viewing options unlike this summer. $30 million is about what Denzel movies usually open to. so that's a pretty normal number for him