Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

16 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Sure but saying mangold and co never miss the mark based on a few social reactions that have been proven to come up unreliable at times compared to the actual reviews that have been actually posted on RT is a tad more precipitated  IMO.

When reviews reach 80ish -100 . It's had for them to move by much . 46 reviews is not far off. 5.8/10 avg is damning and it ain't gonna jump much past 60s IMO.

Yeah this is the director who gaves us Logan and FvsF.  60s rt is not good for him or Indy as a franchise either.  

I would never plaster remarks such as

" they never miss" on such mid reviews.

Audiences may really love this will see

But critically it's gonna be the worst reviewed lndy film and mangold and Indiana Jones have and can definitely offer better than this.

With less than 50 reviews, no critic consensus anywhere to be seen and you are able to predict the future?

wI58AL3.jpg

Impressive. :Venom:

27 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s Harrison Ford’s last ride as Indy. Likely is something that he would like, to present this work to his peers. And I don’t give a flark to ‘serious critics’, with all due respect but one of those trashing the film at Cannes is a bigger apologist to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 than me, and even if I feel like No Way Home redeemed that film, I don’t understand how much weight can be put into a such small collection of reviews and like I said earlier, we don’t even have a critic consensus yet. The jury is still out.

Regardless of how much weight you assign the Cannes critics, the issue is the image the early reviews paint. When you get something out that early, a negative or middling reception will dampen buzz because chances are the reporting from other sites will be along the lines of "Indiana Jones gets lukewarm reception" and the stink spreads. It's not necessarily lethal, but if the overall interest is lower than expected, you really don't want to throw in any more obstacles. You want less critical reviews to be out first (and ideally be the only ones out for a bit). Obviously it's early for a consensus but wherever it ends (and woth that average, have trouble seeing it higher than 70's), it remains a very bad choice on Disney's behalf to play it there.

• Like 1

So, I rewatched Crystal Skull the other day... I didn't dislike it as much as I did originally, as I still think the overall set pieces fit with the rest of the movies, with only the jungle chase being terrible due to the CG. Still have loads of issues with it and don't think it's good, but I can't say it's outright terrible. The only thing is... I still can't say I know what the fucking plot of that movie is. 

14 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Regardless of how much weight you assign the Cannes critics, the issue is the image the early reviews paint. When you get something out that early, a negative or middling reception will dampen buzz because chances are the reporting from other sites will be along the lines of "Indiana Jones gets lukewarm reception" and the stink spreads. It's not necessarily lethal, but if the overall interest is lower than expected, you really don't want to throw in any more obstacles. You want less critical reviews to be out first (and ideally be the only ones out for a bit). Obviously it's early for a consensus but wherever it ends (and woth that average, have trouble seeing it higher than 70's), it remains a very bad choice on Disney's behalf to play it there.

The highest rated film titled Indiana Jones sits at 84%, and the best one has a 76% score. Never tell me the odds, but saying that it’s far fetched that Dial of Destiny might get around that score just because the Cannes reviews were lukewarm is just silly to me. Last year Dune got somewhat good reviews but not the "omg reviews" that ended up getting once the actual press screenings started making the rounds. It’s just too soon to tell.

Also, this:

Edited by ZattMurdock

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The highest rated film titled Indiana Jones sits at 84%, and the best one has a 76% score. Never tell me the odds, but saying that it’s far fetched that Dial of Destiny might get around that score just because the Cannes reviews were lukewarm is just silly to me. Last year Dune got somewhat good reviews but not the "omg reviews" that ended up getting once the actual press screenings started making the rounds. It’s just too soon to tell.

Also, this:

Climbing from 50 into the 80's is VERY unlikely but considering you think Temple of Doom is not just a good film, but actually the best in the series, clearly you won't see reason. So you stay optimistic.

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Climbing from 50 into the 80's is VERY unlikely but considering you think Temple of Doom is not just a good film, but actually the best in the series, clearly you won't see reason. So you stay optimistic.

Climbing from 50s to 70s is a hard task with only 47 reviews counted? Lol. The last time I saw Indiana Jones og trilogy I was still a teenager so that’s good 20+ years ago. I’m aware now of how racist it was, but growing up it was literally one of my favorite films. I don’t know how I will feel once I watch all of them again, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t revisit those films, but I will do in preparation for Dial of Destiny. Sorry for my lack of taste growing up I guess.

People tend to forget the original movies back when they came out weren't critical darlings either, except the first one maybe. Only through the years they garnered this "legendary" status.

Some put way too much weight to reviews, or worse, to a number (RT score).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Climbing from 50s to 70s is a hard task with only 47 reviews counted? Lol. The last time I saw Indiana Jones og trilogy I was still a teenager so that’s good 20+ years ago. I’m aware now of how racist it was, but growing up it was literally one of my favorite films. I don’t know how I will feel once I watch all of them again, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t revisit those films, but I will do in preparation for Dial of Destiny. Sorry for my lack of taste growing up I guess.

I agree, they gave a very caricature portrayal of nazis.

ron swanson laughing GIF

I don't doubt reviews will improve a good deal once it screens to individuals outside of Cannes. That said, the best case imaginable is getting into the 70s on RT. Realistically it could get into the mid 60s. Either way, if audiences buy into it, it could still do well or, at least, much better than people have it pegged. Should be walkup heavy a la a Jurassic movie. Of course, it won't open anywhere near what they open to but should still see significant walkups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't doubt reviews will improve a good deal once it screens to individuals outside of Cannes. That said, the best case imaginable is getting into the 70s on RT. Realistically it could get into the mid 60s. Either way, if audiences buy into it, it could still do well or, at least, much better than people have it pegged. Should be walkup heavy a la a Jurassic movie. Of course, it won't open anywhere near what they open to but should still see significant walkups. 

Biggest hurt is that it was in the 30s/40s to start. The Cannes premiere was a total misread, though I'm sure they were confident it would get good reactions there. Regardless think it probably ends up fresh with the baked-in lowered expectations from the screenings that will happen over the next few weeks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

So, I rewatched Crystal Skull the other day... I didn't dislike it as much as I did originally, as I still think the overall set pieces fit with the rest of the movies, with only the jungle chase being terrible due to the CG. Still have loads of issues with it and don't think it's good, but I can't say it's outright terrible. The only thing is... I still can't say I know what the fucking plot of that movie is. 

The plot of the movie is "let's remember some crappy B movies from the 1950s." 

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Climbing from 50s to 70s is a hard task with only 47 reviews counted? Lol. 

Is there genuine interest in answering this question? How many film's first 50 reviews were ~50% positive and ended up 15?/20? points higher? Is a basic descriptive question we can answer. Granted, it's likely to not control for Cannes effect so what's the testable hypothesis?

With only 46 reviews is actually not that hard to jump to 80% on RT lol 

I don’t think it will happen but we all know most of the reviews on RT aren’t from highbrow critics and half of them is already counted, if the bloggers etc liked enough it it can happen 

Last night screening was definitely way more positive tho, and i suspect maybe the awful reviews out of Cannes makes everyone expect something bad so it was easier to ended up pleased. 

If the momentum keeps going, i think it will jump to 70% or so. It will matter atp? At least for OW i doubt it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

Just now, PlatnumRoyce said:

The plot of the movie is "let's remember some crappy B movies from the 1950s." 

Is there genuine interest in answering this question? How many film's first 50 reviews were ~50% positive and ended up 15?/20? points higher? Is a basic descriptive question we can answer. Granted, it's likely to not control for Cannes effect so what's the testable hypothesis?

Captain America was rotten at some point with 30-40 reviews iirc, and ended up jumping to +80% and getting a certified fresh. 

Alita also was flirting with 40% in the first wave of reviews and ended up with 61%.

• Like 2

Italian reviews by italian critics at Cannes btw were kinda of positive. So yeah you should wait before thinking people won't like this

this a sort of italian RT. From 10 reviews the average is 3.7/5, so basically a 7.5/10. 

https://www.mymovies.it/film/2023/indiana-jones-e-il-quadrante-del-destino/

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

here in Europe, especially continental europe critics love more an old style blockbuster (most reviews are saying is an old school movie, in a positive way), while all the marvel movies for example have always worst averages than from american critics.

So i guess if you like indiana jones from what I read from some reviews it's a good indiana jones movie.