Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Just now, Xavier said:

It is the Cannes debacle that looks really weird. How did an experienced company like Disney or Lucasfilm miscalculate things like this?

It makes my contempt for Hollywood events like Cannes and Oscars even stronger. And I would mean that if it was a film I’m anticipating or not. There is just a divide between these festivals and the actual film audiences and that’s growing wider imho. 

• Like 3

This is not even true whatsoever, oscars more than ever have very much rewarded crowdpleasers or films that audiences were very excited about going into the event, only real exception being like...nomadland? since 2018. if anything the divide is CLOSING.

but yea sure ok.

"contempt" lol give me a break.

Edited by JustLurking

Cannes is far from a Hollywood event (literally on the other side of the planet), and those same critics would've seen this movie and given it those reviews anyway. And any divide between the Oscars and general audiences is definitely closing, also general audiences often have much worse taste.

This is currently on a hot streak of 12 fresh reviews in a row.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

This is not even true whatsoever, oscars more than ever have very much rewarded crowdpleasers or films that audiences were very excited about going into the event, only real exception being like...nomadland? since 2018. if anything the divide is CLOSING.

but yea sure ok.

"contempt" lol give me a break.

Green Book, Parasite (which I love), and CODA scream, "closing the divide"?

1 minute ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Three very crowdpleasing movies all with a rare 8.0+ IMDb score and 90%+ audience rating on RT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Green Book was a financial hit and Parasite is one of the most successful foreign films domestically (and in my experience is exceptionally popular with my generation, even among non-film buffs). CODA is probably the only one I would agree on but also Apple TV+ claims it was the most viewed film on their service in the month after it's Best Picture win so who knows.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It makes my contempt for Hollywood events like Cannes and Oscars even stronger. And I would mean that if it was a film I’m anticipating or not. There is just a divide between these festivals and the actual film audiences and that’s growing wider imho. 

I mean the fresh reviews buoying the score aren't showering the film in praise. And neither did the Cannes audience rip it to shreds. It's all a very lukewarm response, some skewing more positive than negative.

10 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Green Book and CODA are both crowdpleasers, Parasite had huge support from the public in its award campaign similarly to EEAAO and was extremely financially successful for a korean film

if these are films that y'all think are "elitist" then I have no idea what BP you would consider NOT elitist. maybe this year they should award mario!

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

While is a problem that comes from both ways, arguably is not the Oscar that is diverging from audiences. Is the audiences that once watched the same movies (usually originals), so when the movie was nominated for Oscars, everyone knows them 

Now since the industry trained audiences to care about blockbusters only, the same type of good original movies nominated are perceived as weird and unaccessible, but the hard truth is that the Oscars as a group always had and still have a very average taste … the fact that the average is now seen as high brow is very telling of where we’re going culturally 

And let’s be honest, the academy is trying very hard to please audiences, except for Nomadland (which is one of the best winners of the past decade), they’re been consistently very aligned with popular taste since Green Book, there’s no divergence at all other than keep resistant to SH movies as they should since these movies doesn’t need any more promotion. 

Cannes otherwise is a different story and yeah is kinda funny how Disney screwed this movie so hard 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I mean the fresh reviews buoying the score aren't showering the film in praise. And neither did the Cannes audience rip it to shreds. It's all a very lukewarm response, some skewing more positive than negative.

how many event movies with 80% plus scores have equally middling averages in terms of score out of 10 though? Answer is ALOT. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DAR said:

I’m begging some of you to watch something on the Criterion Channel 

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Sometimes I think people forget that this is an international forum and most of us will never have access to Hulu, let alone Criterion Channel, save if going through all the hassle of VPNs. 

I have a friend who manages a theater and he told me recently that he's dropping premium screens for Indy the moment he gets the chance. I would have thought middle America would have been kinder to Indy but if they're not going crazy I don't think urban Gen-Z kids are gonna turn out either. Judging by how bad he said sales were, I personally wouldn't be surprised if this opened in the 50 range. I know I'm just a random guy on the internet, but if I were you I'd be careful with the predictions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

I have a friend who manages a theater and he told me recently that he's dropping premium screens for Indy the moment he gets the chance. I would have thought middle America would have been kinder to Indy but if they're not going crazy I don't think urban Gen-Z kids are gonna turn out either. Judging by how bad he said sales were, I personally wouldn't be surprised if this opened in the 50 range. I know I'm just a random guy on the internet, but if I were you I'd be careful with the predictions. 

an opening in the 50s is very much where this is looking to go based on tracking anyway. maybe it could scrape by low 60s but thats about it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

It is the Cannes debacle that looks really weird. How did an experienced company like Disney or Lucasfilm miscalculate things like this?

I mean its Lucas Film. Am not convinced they have very good leadership. The whole company seems to get too over excited about every release they have. Need a cynical mind in there.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Green Book and CODA are both crowdpleasers, Parasite had huge support from the public in its award campaign similarly to EEAAO and was extremely financially successful for a korean film

if these are films that y'all think are "elitist" then I have no idea what BP you would consider NOT elitist. maybe this year they should award mario!

I think something like Dune winning 2021 or Top Gun last year (I prefer EEAO) would be a better examples of this. Those are movies a lot of folks watched and were critical darlings as well. There are more then a few examples in the history of the Oscars where some of the biggest movies of the year at the box office were winning BP. 

Titanic, Gone with the Wind, Return of the King, Gladiator, Forest Gump, The Sting, both Godfathers, The Sound of Music.

I'm not saying that is what needs to happen every year. And I think last year, was a good example of a film that didn't have the all time box office return, that was clearly a audience favorite. But things use to be different. Big films audiences loved won.

Edited by BluKyberCrystal