Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

MI rely heavily on OS tho, it can do 250M DOM and still it’s probably gonna get +800M 

I suppose budget for Part 2 will be smaller as well since this one skyrocketed due to COVID 

But for Indy i do think it have room to surprise with walkups but there’s so much walkups can do at this point, and the bigger problem is that OS isn’t looking that hot. 200M DOM would be fine with 500M OS but it’s looking more like 300M OS

I think it will play strong where it’s expected to play strong, despite not being a film for young people. Very curious how much it’s going to make, very excited for the film but for example, I’m not watching this weekend, I have some things I need to sort it out this weekend and then I have to travel for work next week, I’m likely watching between Monday or Tuesday. If I’m excited for this but ended up not even buying tickets for it, I wonder if that’s a less pre-order heavy film but an walk up heavy one, with the 4th of July week and Mission: Impossible without crazy pre-orders either, we could see Indy enjoying some nice weekdays ahead. I’m hopeful it won’t bomb. Not sure why anyone would hope that a film of an 80 year old cool old dude would bomb but hey, that’s the internet for you.

Edited by ZattMurdock

Indy is not showing any trends of a JWD-like walkup heavy film as far as the numbers are showing. If anything flash has shown it's that hoping for a film to suddenly turn the ship around after pointing to a very clear outcome is a recipe for disappointment.

Indy is going 7-8M previews. That means at absolute best case scenario it opens in the 60s and at worst it fails to crack 50.

SK is looking very poor as well. China is a complete non-starter.

This film's OS will be very dependant on whether Europe feels like coming through for it or not. Doesn't seem like it's exactly blowing anyone crazy in mexico either so like, 300M os seems quite optimistic to me lol

Edited by JustLurking

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think it will play strong where it’s expected to play strong, despite not being a film for young people. Very curious how much it’s going to make, very excited for the film but for example, I’m not watching this weekend, I have some things I need to sort it out this weekend and then I have to travel for work next week, I’m likely watching between Monday or Tuesday. If I’m excited for this but ended up not even buying tickets for it, I wonder if that’s a less pre-order heavy film but an walk up heavy one, with the 4th of July week and Mission: Impossible without crazy pre-orders either, we could see Indy enjoying some nice weekdays ahead. I’m hopeful it won’t bomb. Not sure why anyone would hope that a film of an 80 year old cool old dude would bomb but hey, that’s the internet for you.

Yeah i am so tired of the ghoulish joy people seem to have with the potential bombing of this movie,  It's How dare they make a movie with a 80 year man coming back to play a legendary character he made famous.  

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 2

43 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah i am so tired of the ghoulish joy people seem to have with the potential bombing of this movie,  It's How dare they make a movie with a 80 year man coming back to play a legendary character he made famous.  

We’re just baffled that they budgeted this movie like it was Star Wars or Avengers when they should’ve budgeted it like the Sunday afternoon movie for the 40+ crowd that it is. It’s going to lose a lot of money because these of this. 

8 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

We’re just baffled that they budgeted this movie like it was Star Wars or Avengers when they should’ve budgeted it like the Sunday afternoon movie for the 40+ crowd that it is. It’s going to lose a lot of money because these of this. 

I mean, kinda like Mission: Impossible joints but a better film with a legend playing his most known character one last time? I’m not sure if I follow how people think that an Indiana Jones film having a $300m budget is crazy (clearly inflated by Covid) while Mission: Impossible 9 is $290m (same situation) is completely fine.

I never cared about M:I. I do care about Indiana Jones. And I’m not sure if only the 40+ crowd cares, tbh. Let’s see how this weekend goes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean, kinda like Mission: Impossible joints but a better film with a legend playing his most known character one last time? I’m not sure if I follow how people think that an Indiana Jones film having a $300m budget is crazy (clearly inflated by Covid) while Mission: Impossible 9 is $290m (same situation) is completely fine.

I never cared about M:I. I do care about Indiana Jones. And I’m not sure if only the 40+ crowd cares, tbh. Let’s see how this weekend goes.

Tom Cruise is a way bigger box office draw in 2023 than Ford, and the last MI movie is more recent than 2008. Not a great comparison. 

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Tom Cruise is a way bigger box office draw in 2023 than Ford, and the last MI movie is more recent than 2008. Not a great comparison. 

Actually, I think it’s apt. I’m not sold that M:I is setting the box office on fire either. Interested to see how both films box office runs will go.

28 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

MI is not doing much better than indy domestically but it'll do much better overseas, no question whatsoever.

Agreed on this. Thinking like $500-550M WW max for Indy (which seems almost way too optimistic in some cases to some people but I think it's still in the cards if WOM does actually come through) but I can see M:I hitting like $800M honestly. Maybe does similar to Fallout and hits like $770-790 million.

4 hours ago, emoviefan said:

While I take no joy in what is shaping up to be a bomb (unlike The Flash which I was delighted failed so hard), I also have zero intention of feeling bad about a movie made by a major corporation, who quite clearly don’t give a damn about telling creative, fresh stories… and just want to endlessly recycle the same old stuff over and over. It’s cynicism of the highest order, and if we want Hollywood to improve, then stuff like this needs to fail.

• Like 1

Have just seen this and was pleasantly surprised.

This is RT's consensus:

It isn't as thrilling as earlier adventures, but the nostalgic rush of seeing Harrison Ford back in action helps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny find a few final bits of cinematic treasure.

I disagree. I really didn't enjoy the earlier entries, but this one I did. The earlier ones were cringey. 😂 Am I offending fans here? 😅

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

You're 40???

It’s not the years, honey. It’s the mileage.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is RT's consensus:

It isn't as thrilling as earlier adventures, but the nostalgic rush of seeing Harrison Ford back in action helps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny find a few final bits of cinematic treasure.

I disagree. I really didn't enjoy the earlier entries, but this one I did. The earlier ones were cringey. 😂 Am I offending fans here? 😅

Apparently some on this thread get offended for people enjoying Dial of Destiny. Glad you liked, Kayu. Excited to see it some time next week.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 4

At first I was like, I've seen these sequences before. I understand they were doing them for nostalgia, but what I really liked about this was how they used the fantasy stuff in the story (I really thought it was smart) unlike in the earlier entries. (Again, sorry for not liking them.) 😅

There were several long sequences here, which are a breath of fresh air during a time when movies just jump from scene to scene.

I liked the beautiful cinematography. The musical score was also great. It's crazy that Ford could still do a movie like this. I thought Phoebe Waller-Bridge was particularly good.

However, I thought the green screen scenes were pretty noticeable. Didn't like those parts.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

34 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is RT's consensus:

Not not really .

Just don't think the earlier ones were your cup of tea that's all.

The original  3 were a pretty great adventure films IMO.

• Heart 1