53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Straight up Elysium is fucking awesome. Its not an A movie, its not a smart movie, but I had a damn good time at the movies. 

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. 

The Flashback killed it for me though, they were un-need. And while I didn't care about all the characters, I still felt very involved in Damons struggles. I was hearing some iffy things on Damon in reviews but they are on crack, Damon kills it. He is a total badass, and if he wasn't in this movie it would be a whole letter grade worse.

The visuals were fantastic of course, and the scope is perfect. I love the world they constructed. It was 100% believable and I felt transported. 

B+ (87)

I loved it.More later.9/10

You two are like a couple of hipsters. Every single time, if a movie is generally liked, you think it's too mainstream and give it a negative review. Now that this movie is hated, again, it's too mainstream for you so you both like it.

You two are strange people... STRANGE I SAY.

• Like 1

You two are like a couple of hipsters. Every single time, if a movie is generally liked, you think it's too mainstream and give it a negative review. Now that this movie is hated, again, it's too mainstream for you so you both like it.

Hated?who?

Elysium is exciting and it is relevant.  People can look at the story and say it has been done before but as they say, there are really only 7 stories in Hollywood, it's how you tell the story.  I feel that Neil Blomkamp has now established himself as one of the best new directors out there.  Here he has stunning visuals to go along with the story.  This takes place in Los Angeles about 150 years from now into a dystopian future.  Earth is over-populated, disease ridden and has become a waste land.  Elysium of course, is the Utopia that only the rich and privileged get to inhabit.  On this world of course is a magic machine, like in Prometheus, that cures all of your disease.  Cancer, diabetes and even facial reconstruction is all available to you at the touch of a button.  It's like living in a vampire world.  You'll never grow old, never die and never get sick.  Down on Earth, it is controlled by the corporate big wigs who are so ruthless and heartless than when a worker is sick and close to death, one of the corporate fat cats tells the foreman to make sure he does not bleed all over the sheets because he doesn't want to have to change them.  For some reason this healthcare stuff seems to be bothering a lot of the reviewers here.  I think some people look too deeply into the politics of things instead of just looking at them as being part of the dystopia to some and Utopia to others.

Matt Damon is really good in this.  He's good in everything imo but in this he's a little different than usual.  I feel they could have given us a bit more about his character's adult life and there was a plot point involving a young child that as cliche as it would have been, I would have liked it if she turned out to be his daughter.  But she didn't.  

The real scene stealer of the film however is Sharlto Copley.  He was simply awesome.  When you think that this is the guy who played the mousey little man in District 9 and then you see the raw power he displays in this film, he doesn't even look like the same man.  He really stole most scenes he was in.  

Politics aside, the film appealed to me because more than ever (or at least more than I can ever recall), there is a growing gap in our world between the rich and the poor.  There really isn't much blue collar, average people anymore.  You have the wealthy and you have the poor.  Elysium might take place 150 years from now but it actually looks like one possible reality that we are heading towards.  Blomkamp tackles that beautifully.  There are a few plot pieces in the film that don't have answers and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe they can explore those in the next one, if they get there.

The one truly bad thing about the film is Jodie Foster.  She is miscast and her accent bounces between French, Transylvanian, Peruvian, hobo, English princess, cookie monster, the Terminator, Italian boxer married to Adrian and homeless person.  She really bounces all over the place.  

The film isn't perfect but it is a very good film and one of the best I've seen this year thus far.  I originally had it at 9, but will lower it slightly to a 8.5.

Edited by tiffybaumer
  • Like 4

This movie is hated?  By who?

Fucking dismal movie, I wasn't expecting another masterpiece like District 9, but this was just awful.

Horrible and awkward pacing/editing from start to finish, obnoxious shaky cam(couldn't see what the fuck was going on half the time during action), unforgivably bad acting from Jodie Foster, a villain that is pure unintentional comedy, hilariously forced and extreme politics, bland performances and 1 dimensionally written characters, etc(I could go on and on)... Just a terribly blunt, and ultimately boring movie.  I'm honestly surprised this is fresh on RT.

Right after Kruger died, I just got up and left for a cigarette, I just simply didn't give a shit and neither did anyone I was with and they came with me.  This is the first movie I walked out of since Clash of the Titans.

I'm gonna enjoy watching this one tank.

F

Hated?who?

This movie is hated?  By who?

You can't call it love...

Well it could be worse, at least no-one gets their face blown off then gets resurrected because that would make things stupid..

Put spoiler announcements in guys.. Dont give away the movie for anyone who wants to see this trash.. I predict this film will flop... Such a dissappointment and wasted potential. Not to mention its been done pops up in your mind over 50 times ROFL.

4.1 out of 10

Elysium is exciting and it is relevant.  People can look at the story and say it has been done before but as they say, there are really only 7 stories in Hollywood, it's how you tell the story.  I feel that Neil Blomkamp has now established himself as one of the best new directors out there.  Here he has stunning visuals to go along with the story.  This takes place in Los Angeles about 150 years from now into a dystopian future.  Earth is over-populated, disease ridden and has become a waste land.  Elysium of course, is the Utopia that only the rich and privileged get to inhabit.  On this world of course is a magic machine, like in Prometheus, that cures all of your disease.  Cancer, diabetes and even facial reconstruction is all available to you at the touch of a button.  It's like living in a vampire world.  You'll never grow old, never die and never get sick.  Down on Earth, it is controlled by the corporate big wigs who are so ruthless and heartless than when a worker is sick and close to death, one of the corporate fat cats tells the foreman to make sure he does not bleed all over the sheets because he doesn't want to have to change them.  For some reason this healthcare stuff seems to be bothering a lot of the reviewers here.  I think some people look too deeply into the politics of things instead of just looking at them as being part of the dystopia to some and Utopia to others.

Matt Damon is really good in this.  He's good in everything imo but in this he's a little different than usual.  I feel they could have given us a bit more about his character's adult life and there was a plot point involving a young child that as cliche as it would have been, I would have liked it if she turned out to be his daughter.  But she didn't.  

The real scene stealer of the film however is Sharlto Copley.  He was simply awesome.  When you think that this is the guy who played the mousey little man in District 9 and then you see the raw power he displays in this film, he doesn't even look like the same man.  He really stole most scenes he was in.  

Politics aside, the film appealed to me because more than ever (or at least more than I can ever recall), there is a growing gap in our world between the rich and the poor.  There really isn't much blue collar, average people anymore.  You have the wealthy and you have the poor.  Elysium might take place 150 years from now but it actually looks like one possible reality that we are heading towards.  Blomkamp tackles that beautifully.  There are a few plot pieces in the film that don't have answers and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe they can explore those in the next one, if they get there.

The one truly bad thing about the film is Jodie Foster.  She is miscast and her accent bounces between French, Transylvanian, Peruvian, hobo, English princess, cookie monster, the Terminator, Italian boxer married to Adrian and homeless person.  She really bounces all over the place.  

The film isn't perfect but it is a very good film and one of the best I've seen this year thus far.  I originally had it at 9, but will lower it slightly to a 8.5.

^^ Great scott Baumer, I really disliked alot of this film(Some parts were good hence my 4. out of ten rating) but it all went down hill. I mean the outcomes  were very unsatisfactory to me and it had none of that ambience that dark sci-fi movies that rock had.. Felt no triumphant hero feeling or a need to go back to the theater.. Good buddy I see why you liked it, but I think this one is in trouble. And yep Ive never till this film seen Jodi so out of her element..My god  this film was god awful for her. I know she cant be happy with the finished project.

For me I was so  glad I saw meet the millers to get the bad taste out from seeing Elysium.. Most of my friends are hating this one too Baum.. You were happy with the outcome and the simple confrontation of  the lead and that baddie. I thought that had no superior punch needed for a sci-fi with this potential.. Also let me down.

Also how did you rate MTM...Loved it.. My favorite comedy this year and in a long time 7.7-8.1 out of 10

Edited by Superman001

A movie with a VERY heavy-handed message and a predictable outcome (someone bringing down the whole system).  Also, Foster sucked.  Seriously, she was channeling Segal with how much dubbing she had used in place of her actual vocals

Still, Matt Damon was good and the effects were good.

However, Blomkamp's limitations in style are starting to show, the first opening frames of the film felt like they should have been accompanied by "Previously, on District Nine..."

You can't call it love...

Shpongle hates everything though. :lol:But seriously...so they have different tastes than a lot of people. So what? You don't have to agree but at least respect it and don't automatically resort to calling them hipsters. Edited by House Cozmees of Everdeen

Shpongle hates everything though. :lol:But seriously...so they have different tastes than a lot of people. So what? You don't have to agree but at least respect it and don't automatically resort to calling them hipsters.

It was more of a joke than seriousness.

It's a step down from D9 in a way that tells me Blomkamp needs a writing partner next time. It's decently entertaining, the concept is good and the action beats (when I could tell what was going on- darn you, shaky-cam) are as solid as ever, but there's not enough to Damon or the mother/daughter to really root for their quest (the presence of a guy as empathetic as Wikus in District 9 is sorely needed). Even Copley's crazy villain isn't as fun as he should be because there's no motivation behind him- we don't even understand why he's involved with Elysium in the first place. A lot is introduced and left unfinished, thus the movie kind of sits there. 

One big question: there were tons of envoys carrying the magic beds stored in Elysium that are immediately sent to Earth at the end of the movie. Why weren't these envoys sent down to Earth a long time ago? It really seemed like no big deal when they were sent. Who made the decision to keep them in space? It's hard to believe none of the 1% who live on Elysium were empathetic enough to provide any meaningful health care to the billions left on Earth. 

• Like 8

It's a step down from D9 in a way that tells me Blomkamp needs a writing partner next time. It's decently entertaining, the concept is good and the action beats (when I could tell what was going on- darn you, shaky-cam) are as solid as ever, but there's not enough to Damon or the mother/daughter to really root for their quest (the presence of a guy as empathetic as Wikus in District 9 is sorely needed). Even Copley's crazy villain isn't as fun as he should be because there's no motivation behind him- we don't even understand why he's involved with Elysium in the first place. A lot is introduced and left unfinished, thus the movie kind of sits there. 

One big question: there were tons of envoys carrying the magic beds stored in Elysium that are immediately sent to Earth at the end of the movie. Why weren't these envoys sent down to Earth a long time ago? It really seemed like no big deal when they were sent. Who made the decision to keep them in space? It's hard to believe none of the 1% who live on Elysium were empathetic enough to provide any meaningful health care to the billions left on Earth. 

Because everybody on Elysium had pompous evil mustache twirling faux French accents and didn't want to help those poor people.

(I assume the robots put those medical bays on the ships in order to transport them to Earth on Spider's orders).

• Like 1

Because everybody on Elysium had pompous evil mustache twirling faux French accents and didn't want to help those poor people.

(I assume the robots put those medical bays on the ships in order to transport them to Earth on Spider's orders).

Which could be true, but it definitely seemed like there were ranges to how poorly Elysium citizens wanted to treat Earth citizens (Jodie Foster's character being on the lowest range of tolerance). 

The film asks you to believe there's a magical device that can cure any ailments but it's being kept from the poor by all of the wealthy. And that's probably the point, but I found it awfully cynical, especially when it's revealed how easy it is to get the same treatment down to Earth. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

• Community Manager

Which could be true, but it definitely seemed like there were ranges to how poorly Elysium citizens wanted to treat Earth citizens (Jodie Foster's character being on the lowest range of tolerance). 

The film asks you to believe there's a magical device that can cure any ailments but it's being kept from the poor by all of the wealthy. And that's probably the point, but I found it awfully cynical, especially when it's revealed how easy it is to get the same treatment down to Earth. 

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing and it's where the movie's message on universal health care completely falls apart. It would be one thing if they could only produce a limited amount of magical healing machines...but when they have enough to treat the world population? It's simply unconscionable that any group of people, no matter what economic class they find themselves in, would restrict them when they have no reason to. Or...they did have a reason and it's cold but practical: a form of population control.

Seriously this is a planet that is overpopulated. It is so overpopulated that wealthy people built a spaceship so that they could have some space. We never get a population figure but I imagine it's way too high to properly fix a lot of the problems facing said society. So what do you do when you give them access to machines that cures them all and significantly slows down aging? You just increased the life expectancy of everyone by decades. In other words, the overpopulated Earth is going to face even MORE overpopulation as the death rate significantly goes down. Congrats: they just made the problem way worse.

It's not like moving them to Elysium is the answer either since I doubt that the station would be able to handle a quarter of the Earth's population. Even then, the more you crowd it...the more it defeats the whole purpose of having a station.

Spider and Max just ironically fucked everything up worse.

• Like 8

This cracked me up, made my day.

Great review baumer, pretty much on the same exact page. 

• Like 1