druv10

Weekend Estimates: One Direction-17M, Butler-14.74M, WTM-12.61M

Opening at just 347 theaters, Instructions Not Included took fifth place with an incredible $7.5 million this weekend. That's significantly higher than other Spanish-language movies from Lionsgate's Pantelion division—Girl in Progress and No Eres Tu, Soy Yo earned just $2.6 million and $1.34 million, respectively, in their entire runs. Instructions star Eugenio Derbez also appeared in those movies, which makes Instructions's huge debut even more remarkable by comparison.Not only do Hispanics represent a growing percentage of the U.S. population, but they also account for a disproportionately high amount of movie theater ticket sales. According to the Motion Picture Association of America's 2012 theatrical market report, Hispanics made up 17 percent of the population, but 26 percent of frequent moviegoers. In spite of this, there are very few movies made each year that are specifically targeted towards Hispanics. Simply reaching out to Hispanics isn't enough, though, as proven by the low grosses of Girl in Progress and No Eres Tu, Soy Yo. It's also important that the story resonates, and Instructions Not Included's focus on family seems to have clicked with the audience.The movie received a rare "A+" CinemaScore, which suggests that it could play well in the long-term. With great word-of-mouth and an incredible per-theater average, it wouldn't be surprising at all if Lionsgate attempts to expand this in to nationwide release next weekend.Boxofficemojo.com

• Like 2

We're going to see more foreign language releases like Instructions Not Included in the near future, especially if it holds in subsequent weeks.

And didn't Chennai Express break the record for biggest US opening for an Indian movie too?

Maybe they're finally figuring out how to market to and mobilize the right demographic.

The movie received a rare "A+" CinemaScore, which suggests that it could play well in the long-term. With great word-of-mouth and an incredible per-theater average, it wouldn't be surprising at all if Lionsgate attempts to expand this in to nationwide release next weekend.Boxofficemojo.com

A+? Here come the legs!

I'm sure there are lots of spanish speaking populations all over the country that would enjoy seeing this movie sometime in the next few weeks.

Well it was like how some western came out in 2009 that was playing for a while out here, I don't remember the name of it but it did okay here but not elsewhere. (No it is not TLR which did fantastic here but bad elsewhere or Rango which did great here and just okay elsewhere :P)

Now remember-just because it got an A+ does not translate to it doing major numbers if it goes wide of course.

There's obviously a very limited market for non-english movies, but no way in hell is 347 enough theaters to cater to the entire spanish-speaking population in the country.

You know a foreign language film has not appealed to the mass audience since Crouching Tiger (not including Passion of course, I mean films not made in the US)

Interesting enough, watching the trailer it seemed like it was American and Mexican-it was in Spanish but the music was in English.

• Like 1

Ed, I'm assuming that this movie is in Spanish, and it is not subtitled? So it's for Spanish speakers only. Can you confirm?

I'd say the movie is about 70% Spanish.. There are Subtitles. The actual trailer for the movie is in English.The story deals with a Mexican father and an American mother.
  • Like 1

Then something else will steal 12 Years' thunder.I really am tiring of Oscar talk this early. How many times has something been "locked" this early, only for something else to come along and steal the victory?

But "The Butler" never had true  Oscar-talk thunder once it RT score settled on roughly 72%. Most critics liked it but not many thought of it as great. If it has a chance at being nominated for best picture it is only becuase 1)It is a box office success and thus folks have actually seen it before screeners are sent out  2)Harvey Weinstein will push for it 3)the subject matter is important and timely considering the 50th anniversary of MLK's dream speech.

Other than that the only chance it has at an Oscar is Oprah and that is mostly because 1)Oprah is a media whore 2)Harvey will push Oprah for a nom 3)the media will keep mentioning her name and therefore push her for a nom and 4)the actress categories (lead and supporting) are usually relatively weak and therefore there aren't many great options to choose from in the first place.  Forest Whitaker may be more deserving but he has the misfortune of being in a far-more crowded field and thus is likely already out of contention.

12 Years' "thunder" is real. Three of the last five Oscar winners have come out of Telluride with the same type of buzz. Now from what I know about the film it may be such a hard watch that it is likely to win Best Picture (the Academy may be more comfortable with the safer Butler) but it will get a slew of nominations including likely in the Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actor categories. There's a good chance it can get Best Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematographer and Best Score nods as well. That's simply a reality. Other worthy films will come around but 12 Years is not going to be ignored come nominations time.

Getting back to box office talk....amazing legs for The Millers and The Butler. And this Instructions Not Included flick? Wow. Wasn't even aware of it.

• Like 1

You know a foreign language film has not appealed to the mass audience since Crouching Tiger (not including Passion of course, I mean films not made in the US)

Interesting enough, watching the trailer it seemed like it was American and Mexican-it was in Spanish but the music was in English.

Pan's Labyrinth did pretty well (37M). (Not sure if you'd count it but it had at least as much mass appeal as INI so far)

I'd say the movie is about 70% Spanish.. There are Subtitles. The actual trailer for the movie is in English.The story deals with a Mexican father and an American mother.

What do you think of the movie? Is it good?

What do you think of the movie? Is it good?

Very few films I see in Spanish. I loved it. My wife enjoyed it as well. It's a comedy for sure but it has its very strong emotional moments.I'd recommend it if you can deal with the Spanish. It has subtitles. The movie isn't completely in Spanish.
  • Like 2