druv10

Weekend Estimates: One Direction-17M, Butler-14.74M, WTM-12.61M

12 Years a Slave will snatch The Butler's thunder come Oscar season.

Then something else will steal 12 Years' thunder. I really am tiring of Oscar talk this early. How many times has something been "locked" this early, only for something else to come along and steal the victory?

This is It opened on Wednesday.

This Is It could only make 32 million 5 day opening weekend with over 3000 theaters.

That Hanna Montana tour managed 31 million during a 3 day period and a theater count of only 687.

That bothers me. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

This Is It could only make 32 million 5 day opening weekend with over 3000 theaters.

That Hanna Montana tour managed 31 million during a 3 day period and a theater count of only 687.

That bothers me. 

Hannah Montana was in 3D and hyped prior to its opening weekend as a one-week only event. Plus, there was a big Hannah Montana concert scalping scandal the year before, you had people faking stories about their dads dying in Iraq to win Hannah Montana tickets. So fans flocked to the movie in a big way because many had probably been locked out of going to the actual show. Whereas with MJ, it wasn't in 3D, it skewed older obviously and to an audience more likely to wait to get it on DVD or catch it on TV. Though I think if This Is It had been ready in August or September, it might have had a better opening. 

Hannah Montana was in 3D and hyped prior to its opening weekend as a one-week only event. Plus, there was a big Hannah Montana concert scalping scandal the year before, you had people faking stories about their dads dying in Iraq to win Hannah Montana tickets. So fans flocked to the movie in a big way because many had probably been locked out of going to the actual show. Whereas with MJ, it wasn't in 3D, it skewed older obviously and to an audience more likely to wait to get it on DVD or catch it on TV. Though I think if This Is It had been ready in August or September, it might have had a better opening. 

Well at least I can sit tight. Hanna Montana's a fad, Michael Jackson's forever.

I'm really wondering if that INI opening is a mistake. I mean how could an indie foreign film with practically no marketing visibility and in only 300 theaters pull off that kind of opening? I mean seriously. Did have some kind of viral buzz or something?

Edited by MovieMan89

I'm really wondering if that INI opening is a mistake. I mean how could an indie foreign film with practically no marketing visibility and in only 300 theaters pull off that kind of opening? I mean seriously. Did have some kind of viral buzz or something?

Huge US Hispanic popuation worked wonders.

Well flood warnings here right now-so not many will be going to the movies-which could put a dent in the number 5 film. (Same thing happened on DM2's 2nd or 3rd weekend out here)

Edit: Actually that was Wolvie's OD.

Edited by Impact

Well flood warnings here right now-so not many will be going to the movies-which could put a dent in the number 5 film. (Same thing happened on DM2's 2nd or 3rd weekend out here)

Edit: Actually that was Wolvie's OD.

Though it is probably doing better in southern NM and California then here

Still have not seen any sellouts for films since DM2/TLR.

And I doubt that part will change for a while :lol:

Well in 2004 a film called "Woman Though art Loose" was in the top 10, which was odd as the film was limited, but it apparently did quite well in Urban markets. (I don't even know if it opened here).