Impact

Best Song-2013

I see why they didn't name a replacement...everyone would already know it couldn't even get more votes than some song nobody had ever really heard of before. If it's a big name act (Swift/Del Rey/Coldplay), it would be kind of embarrassing to only make it into the category because of a DQ.

I dunno. I think Del Rey was considered a shoo-in (at least from what I've felt) for the category and many people persumed that Young and Beautiful was #6. I can imagine that the Academy might not want to name a new nominee because Del Rey wasn't 6th and they want to avoid the outrage. 

There really should be a replacement nominee. They've done that before.Though maybe the 6th place nominee was Coldplay and the Academy rightfully decided that no one wants to live in a world where Coldplay are Oscar nominees.

Wouldn't be any worse then living in a world where Gwyneth Paltrow is an Oscar WINNER.

Lol so what exactly was it DQ'd for? Cause no one knows it? :lol:

The songwriter used to be a governor of the Academy and AMPAS thought it was over the line to have someone who'd held a leadership position to lobby members on behalf of his own song. Also AMPAS had previously ruled that Alone Yet Not Alone (the movie) had met the Oscar eligibility requirement for advertising the movie locally on the shakiest of grounds--the movie's showtimes had been listed in the local paper, that was it, the movie studio didn't actually pay for any sort of ads or local TV spots or anything that you'd typically consider an "in theaters now" ad.  Maybe they had second thoughts about that and turned to the undue influence excuse to can the nomination.

• Like 1

There are sources that are claiming the AMPAS pulled it for being a christian song...

This could get ugly fast...

So many members are said to be too conservative to vote for this movie or that movie but a song got pulled because it was too religious? I doubt it. "When You Believe" and "You Light Up My Life" have won this category, so I doubt that. I'm sure some people do have a problem with "Alone Yet Not Alone" being Christian, but I doubt AMPAS would pull a song just for that. Maybe the movie itself being deemed racially insensitive but hey, they've nominated stuff people could have a problem with in much bigger categories before. If anything they would have loved it if Joni Eareckson Tada had performed at the ceremony, hoping she could've helped draw an audience that maybe isn't normally checking the Oscars.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

There are sources that are claiming the AMPAS pulled it for being a christian song...

This could get ugly fast...

I doubt it's for that reason. It's because the film only made $100,000 and has a 3.5/10 rating on the IMDb, yet a generic credits song from the movie made the cut for Best Original Song, which to a lot of people is pretty shady.

I dunno. I think Del Rey was considered a shoo-in (at least from what I've felt) for the category and many people persumed that Young and Beautiful was #6. I can imagine that the Academy might not want to name a new nominee because Del Rey wasn't 6th and they want to avoid the outrage. 

True, but if they added in another nominee like Lana Del Ray or Coldplay they could then perform at the Oscars and bring in some viewers.

True, but if they added in another nominee like Lana Del Ray or Coldplay they could then perform at the Oscars and bring in some viewers.

I dunno. Adele didn't seem to add to the ratings last year, so I doubt Coldplay performing would magically bring in an extra million viewers. 

Pharrell is performing and he'll bring in the most viewers of anyone they could have since he'll be performing the biggest song in the US right now and just won a crapload of Grammys.

Btw Frozenites, Happy's comin at ya like a dark horse.  ;)  An upset could be in store.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Pharrell is performing and he'll bring in the most viewers of anyone they could have since he'll be performing the biggest song in the US right now and just won a crapload of Grammys.

Btw Frozenites, Happy's comin at ya like a dark horse.  ;)  An upset could be in store.

I think Idina Menzel will bring in more viewers than Pharrell, Let it Go is still the more popular and more known song.  Also Happy shouldn't win simply because I always think (and the Oscars tend to do this too) that the original song winner should go to the song that does the best at adding depth to the movie.  This year the only songs that do that are The Moon Song and Let it Go.

I also think Happy is a really annoying song, it's way to repetitive and boring.  It's a decent song and sang well, but there is nothing to it.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

I would not be surprised if Happy wins. It's become bigger and bigger on the radio and in sales in the US during the voting period, on a whole different level from Let It Go (itself is selling nicely while becoming a viral thing). BTW, it's really nice to have two popular songs nominated in the same year. Not that "popular = good", but if you look back at the category in the 1980s, for example, the winners and nominees were regularly huge real-world hits that are classics you still hear on adult contemporary stations today.

I can see Happy shaping up as a very easy alternative that would appeal to those AMPAS voters not feeling a so-called "Broadway" sounding song from a Disney musical. Not everyone goes for that sort of thing and Happy's a song getting airplay on pretty much every format but hard rock and country. Though the voters sometimes surprise and impress by voting according to how the song is actually used in the movie, instead of just what seems the most "Oscary". I was really shocked when Lose Yourself won that year, the new song they made up for Chicago seemed more the Academy's speed, but they went with the rap that was instrumental to the movie over the nicely sung musical-style song over the credits. 

I would say Let It Go is still the frontrunner and likely to win, but with weaker odds than, say, early-mid January.

• Like 1