BenedictL11

Gravity OS Thread

I think star power is being overrated here, regardless of how well Gravity does. There is so much more to what makes big numbers for a film than the actors, it's not as if Life Of Pi made its 484M on the back of Suraj Sharma's star power...

Maybe. Gravity OW DOM doubled that of LOP. I think Bullock's star power has something to do with that.

Edited by firedeep

Maybe. Gravity OW DOM doubled that of LOP. I think Bullock's star power has something to do with that.

It has more to do with amazing trailers and great WOM than anything else. 

Edited by druv10

No one says Bullock/Clooney are not stars OS, just not as big stars as they are in US. They are definitely not big A-lister/box office draws internationally.  

I never said they are Box Office draws. But I'm starting to suspect you have difficulty reading...

A-Listers and Box Office draws are two different things. Adam Sandler is a BO draw, but he will never be A-list. Clooney and Bullock might not be BO draws on the level of Depp or Downey Jr., but they are as A-list as it gets. Even overseas. Sure it differs per country.

But do not confuse your own experiences in your country with all international regions. Here in The Netherlands, Sandra Bullock is a household name as one the public's favorite actresses. And Clooney is every bit as popular.

Once again, A-list and Box Office are two different things. Oprah doesn't really rake in the cash because she rarely makes a movie. But she's an A-list megastar.

I never said they are Box Office draws. But I'm starting to suspect you have difficulty reading...A-Listers and Box Office draws are two different things. Adam Sandler is a BO draw, but he will never be A-list. Clooney and Bullock might not be BO draws on the level of Depp or Downey Jr., but they are as A-list as it gets. Even overseas. Sure it differs per country.But do not confuse your own experiences in your country with all international regions. Here in The Netherlands, Sandra Bullock is a household name as one the public's favorite actresses. And Clooney is every bit as popular.Once again, A-list and Box Office are two different things. Oprah doesn't really rake in the cash because she rarely makes a movie. But she's an A-list megastar.

Except we are not talking about being well known . We are talking about being actual draws
  • Like 1

Gravity isn't  Avatar of Life of Pi.

I never said it was another Life of Pi and much less Avatar, what I said is that exist a possibility that Gravity can get close to World War Z numbers WW with good WOM. After all this is just the first weekend of Gravity in theatres, things can change the next weekend.

increases ... ? Even Avatar didnt. the last time a wide release saw global increases on 2rd weekend is still in 1997. The name of that film called Titanic.

Im talking about country to country