baumer

Frances Ha (2013)

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A film that is ultimately tailor-made for pretentious hipster pseudo-intellectual douchebags everywhere.

Perhaps a bit harsh, and yet in the end my recollection of this film will consist of a bunch of boring people sitting around a table talking nonsense.  To say that this film meanders would be an understatement.  Of course, you have a big problem when the main character is simply dull.  Did anyone really give a rat's ass what happened to Frances here?  All i got was a whining girl who didn't even realize it may be time to get another fucking job until twenty minutes were left in the film.

In a way, the black and white background is a perfect representation here.  It's inevitable people will proclaim it "artsy and edgy" but in reality it serves no purpose.  It's somewhat impressive to turn one of the more vibrant and colorful cities in the world into a vast wasteland.  They say that life imitates art, and in this case the colors here imitated the film.........lifeless and boring as fuck.

A brutal and excruciating watch, plain and simple.

"Starboard, anal sex!"

I suppose anyone who entered this movie expecting a conventional movie would be disappointed. Yeah, it's weird and it's not for everyone. Baumbach's dialogue is unconventional and non-realistic for sure, but it's really funny at times. It sometimes reminded me of some of Woody Allen's movies with the witty characters and long takes. 

Greta Gerwig did a fine job and her character was enjoyable even though she did make some bad decisions (and she ran more than Tom Cruise too). In the end, you could sympathize with her as she learned and grew throughout the movie. The black and white is never a problem and maybe even makes the movie more enjoyable.

9/10

And man was it frustrating watching her missing so many opportunities by a hair so many times...

Watched it again and thought that, if the ending wasn't this rushed (which it really was, IMO), it might have been one of my all-time favorite films. The first 75 minutes are pretty much brilliant, and much more nuanced and rich than I previously thought.

i was fighting off the whimsy for much of the first half, but eventually i came to enjoy this tale of a slightly awkward post-college woman undergoing a minor life crisis. i felt heavy shades of francois truffaut, woody allen and the mumblecore scene while watching. the ending was touching but also rather contrived, cloying and out of step with the rest of the film.

6/10

Not familiar with Baumbach's work and, as far as I know, this is the first movie of his I watched. I enjoyed it... it was a cringe fest from the dinner to her leaving for Paris, but other than that, it was pretty enjoyable.

A-

It's was soooo good a tightly paced, there isn't one single wasted minute, which is very rare.

Frances Ha is a great character study movi, with an involving whimsy atmosphere and an impeccably performance from Gerwing.

Edited by Goffe