CaptainJackSparrow

Casablanca VS Citizen Kane

Casablanca or Citizen Kane  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Casablanca or Citizen Kane?

• CitIzen Kane
    • Casablanca

So, AFIs top two films. Which is better? Which were you more emotionally involved with? Which has more memorable quotes? I just saw Casablanca, and I must say it's one of the best films I have ever seen. Citizen Lane doesn't sound to interesting, I am watching it in film studies next week.

Edited by Gingy

I found Casablanca more interesting. I do believe Citizen Kane is the more ground-breaking film though. I find it boring though. I know Citizen Kane was the first film to have credits at the end of the film. It also invented the wipe, if I remember correctly. Not sure on that. But, it did invent some techniques that many films today take for granted. Someone more educated in Citizen Kane should chime in.

Casablanca is a good film, but I don't believe it is truly groundbreaking though in the way Citizen Kane is. I think a lot of people just like the plot, the pacing, and the acting. However, I am not sure I would put Casablanca on my list of top 10 best films ever made.

BTW, I voted Casablanca because I enjoy it more as a film than CK.

Edited by CloneWars

Casablanca has very interesting background (still as interesting 80 years later today), very moving love story (still as moving 80 years later today), great performance from a few major and supporting roles (still as great 80 years later today), and two of the biggest movie stars in film history in one of the greatest love stories in cinema history.

While all Citizen Kane got are some filmmaking tricks that seemed something new at the time but eventually outdated decades ago. It has forgettable characters and boring narratives. It is pretty much totally unrelated to today's movie audience. Only in museum it can still find itself some values.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

I agree with firedeep on Casablanca. But I would not be as harsh on Citizen Kane, thought it's still a slightly entertaining movie, and Orson Wells gave a good performance. The movie's biggest achievement was of course the revolutionary, groundbreaking, introduction of new technology in filmmaking, something that I do appreciate a lot. But Casablanca is better IMO cause it connected to me more emotionally. Great performances from the charming leads, good direction, interesting characters and plot, beautiful love story, etc...

Citizen Kane is technically, one of the best films ever, maybe the best, but lacks soul. Firedeep has explained it vey well. It is a museum piece and a film to be studied in cinema academies but GA will probably find it boring and outdated. Meanwhile, Casablanca, being inferior, is, IMO, the perfect film. Cast, performances, plot, screenplay, direction... everything fits perfectly. Probably, we will never see a better film.

I thought you would prefer CK 

i thought i would have as well. but citizen kane underwhelmed me with a surprisingly unambitious story (welles' the trial is much better in that regard) and casablanca was way more fun than expected, and is pretty much the cream of the crop in pure entertainment.

I appreciate Kane for doing many technical things that had never been done before, and really ushered in so many different techniques films nowadays take for granted as a 'standard' practice.

On a personal, emotional level, I enjoy Casablanca the most of the two. It has great tone and pacing, and never fails to please. It's always interesting, to me, to remember that Casablanca was just another 'factory' film pumped out by the studio that year. Really neat how this film is such a beloved movie from that period.