A Marvel Fanboy

Which countries produce the best films

Which countries produce the best films  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which countries do you think produce the best films overally in quality ?

• Australia
    • Brazil
    • Canada
    • China
    • Czech Republic
    • Danmark
    • France
    • Germany
    • India
    • Itlay
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Nigeria
    • Poland
    • Russia
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • UK
    • US
    • Others

Before the Golden Age of Hollywood (1930~1960), France was the best film making country and they pretty much owned Europe. Then during 1960 and later 1970s, French films made a second come back. Ever since 1970s, Hollywood have dominated the majority part of the world film market/industry.

Which country has won the most in the Best Foreign Film category at the Academy Awards?

Top 10 is:

1. Italy (30 Noms / 13 Oscar)

2. France (38 / 12)

3. Spain (19 / 4)

4. Japan (15 / 4)

5. USSR / Russia (14 / 4)

6. Germany (18 / 3)

7. Sweden (14 / 3)

8. Denmark (9 / 3)

9. Czech Republic (9 / 3)

10. Netherlands (7 / 3)

As a curious data, Israel has been nominated 10 times but they have not won an Oscar.

• Like 1

sorry but Japan makes a lot of good films per year, that u don't watch them doesnt mean they are bad, USA produce so much shit that i don't think that today it's the best producer in the world. I admitt that they sell more than any other country, but that's a cultural thing, not quality. Transformers 3 made it's the 6th highets grossing movie WW (unadjusted), and i don't thing is the 6th best movie of all time. In fact it sucks

• Like 1

sorry but Japan makes a lot of good films per year, that u don't watch them doesnt mean they are bad, USA produce so much shit that i don't think that today it's the best producer in the world. I admitt that they sell more than any other country, but that's a cultural thing, not quality. Transformers 3 made it's the 6th highets grossing movie WW (unadjusted), and i don't thing is the 6th best movie of all time. In fact it sucks

While I definitely agree that countries like Japan make plenty of good films per year (2 of my top 3 favourite films are Japanese (No 1 is English)), the fact remains that, because the US releases so many films per year, they release more good films than other countries. They also release more bad films than other countries but, since this topic is just about the good ones, instead of the average quality of film in each country (which would be very difficult to measure since most of us don't seek out bad foreign films), that's what we're counting.

And yeah, Transformers 3 blows. I think a lot of people here would agree with that.