#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Friday - 12.7MSaturday - 17.7M (+40%)Sunday - 12.4M (-30%)42M weekend!?

Last week it jumped 31% on Saturday and when previews are subtracted it jumped over 40%. I think jump on Saturday will be close to 50% so 43-44M weekend with a possibility of 45M. 

• Like 1

Machete Bombs!Didn't expect so low, thought more 7-8m, the Lady Gaga involvement basically brought nothing then. Or it actually deterred people.

I just dont think anyone cared about a Machete sequel.. The first one was only a modest hit (26.5 mil). Plus there was better things to see over the weekend (Gravity, Phillips)

I just dont think anyone cared about a Machete sequel.. The first one was only a modest hit (26.5 mil). Plus there was better things to see over the weekend (Gravity, Phillips)

The Grindhouse project that birthed Machete was a big flop. In other words, to quote Vincent Vega, they should've fucking better known better.

• Like 5

• Founder / Operator

Thinking $45.5m-ish for Gravity. What an incredible run this thing is having.

Phillips proves that Hanks still has it with the right role. Incredible opening for it under the circumstances of Gravity's near-deafening buzz.

So much for this fall being boring at the box office. This is already more exciting than summer, IMO. (Probably because of the quality of the movies, heh.)

• Like 6

Only 250m ? Time to go bigger.

Gravity over DM2 DOM

Anyone ?

Only 250m ? Time to go bigger.

Gravity over DM2 DOM

Anyone ?

lol, calm down. Let's see the holds it will have with Thor and CF opening real soon. 

• Like 1

lol, calm down. Let's see the holds it will have with Thor and CF opening real soon. 

What? Thor doesn't open for 3 weeks and CF is even further off. There will be no impact on Gravity by then. It will have made a majority of its money.

• Like 2

woah... that is just massive... 

I mean I was joking about a 45m in another thread when someone mentioned BOM predicting 41m for this.. but 45.5m would be amazing... that's only an 18.5% dip  .. that would be insane and suddenly those calling for a 30m+ 3rd weekend doesn't look so insane now. 

The real question now, how high can gravity go ?  

100m ~ gone as of saturday :P

150m ~ probably during the 3rd weekend the way things are going

166m and above will make it he biggest october and fall release ever. (quite possibly could fall on the 3rd weekend also)

200m ~ appears locked at this point (4th weekend or more likely the 5th weekend)

250m ~ well within possibilities..

300m ~ ummm I think given how it's travelling already must begin to be considered to be an outside shot.

I think personally this will wind up around the 250m (give or take about 20m that is), but 300m is now on the table if it holds to this level over the next few weeks...

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

woah... that is just massive... 

I mean I was joking about a 45m in another thread when someone mentioned BOM predicting 41m for this.. but 45.5m would be amazing... that's only an 18.5% dip  .. that would be insane and suddenly those calling for a 30m+ 3rd weekend doesn't look so insane now. 

The real question now, how high can gravity go ?  

100m ~ gone as of saturday :P

150m ~ probably during the 3rd weekend the way things are going

166m and above will make it he biggest october and fall release ever. (quite possibly could fall on the 3rd weekend also)

200m ~ appears locked at this point (4th weekend or more likely the 5th weekend)

250m ~ well within possibilities..

300m ~ ummm I think given how it's travelling already must begin to be considered to be an outside shot.

I think personally this will wind up around the 250m (give or take about 20m that is), but 300m is now on the table if it holds to this level over the next few weeks...

I pretty much agree. I think I mentioned $250m as my high-end in that article on Monday. Now, my high-end is budging up again. Amazing.