#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

I think it has to do with only a few directors having the clout to do it the right way.

I doubt Cuaron had the clout to do it the right way, but he wanted to do it the right way, and that is what made the difference. Before Gravity he had Children of Men and HP3 on his resume. A decent resume, but not the sort of resume that gives a filmmaker a lot of clut.

One good thing though is that this means that Avatar 2 will likely get a good 3D share. Prior to Gravity, I was worried, there wouldn't be the demand to see it in 3D due to audiences giving up on the gimmick. But, Gravity has shown that if done right, 3D can be an experience.

• Like 1

One good thing though is that this means that Avatar 2 will likely get a good 3D share. Prior to Gravity, I was worried, there wouldn't be the demand to see it in 3D due to audiences giving up on the gimmick. But, Gravity has shown that if done right, 3D can be an experience.

Add the emergence of the new HD standard (Ultra HD) that will push HFR forward. (Jackson misfires doesn't mean Cameron can't do it right. He is known for taking existing technologies and pushing the envelope to reach new heights and break new ground in an effective manner making the whole industry leap forward. He did it with CGI, 3D and PerfCap. Imagine what James Cameron can envision and bring to the table for his own movies after seeing Gravity)

Edited by dashrendar44

I doubt Cuaron had the clout to do it the right way, but he wanted to do it the right way, and that is what made the difference. Before Gravity he had Children of Men and HP3 on his resume. A decent resume, but not the sort of resume that gives a filmmaker a lot of clut.

Cuaron, like Ang Lee (with Life of Pi), is a respected filmmaker. I doubt studios would let the director of Clash of the Titans do that movie the right way.

• Like 1

No need to worry about Avatar 2's 3D share.

People will always flock to great 3D.

Seems tough

yeah seems like it 4 now but i beieve in miracles :D

Btw I'm reading the old thread from last year & it opened my eyes that US cinemas doesnt have reserves seating? :blink:  :blink:  :blink: I had no idea abt it. Now all the camping reports make sense.  lol now i feel pretty dumb

Idk what Id do if the same was here :huh:

Edited by Leyla

"thanks to an 84% 3D ratio. ”It doesn’t get much better than that. The demise of 3D in the domestic marketplace was totally premature,” a Warner Bros exec tells me."

A very high 3D share, but what's the overall share so far this year? I'd wager not much better than last year (YTD).