baumer

Possible Friday #s from boxoffice.com

So I've seen Ender's Game. It's a pretty good movie, worth a watch. If anyone's interested, but still on the fence, you should check it out.I'm glad it's doing quite well. It is doing okay, right? I haven't looked at the numbers.

No, the numbers are not great, their just okay (I guess).

Edited by Fancyarcher

Damn, Bad grandpa increasing almost 250%. What the hell?

I know; it's potentially looking at a sub-40% drop which is not only impressive for an R-rated comedy, but one in a franchise that typically has short legs.  Maybe people really are desperate for a comedy; not to mention I've heard that the film actually has a bit of a heart...

So I've seen Ender's Game. It's a pretty good movie, worth a watch. If anyone's interested, but still on the fence, you should check it out. I'm glad it's doing quite well. It is doing okay, right? I haven't looked at the numbers.

No it will likely open poorly . Not enough to make any profit

No, it's actually doing pretty decently. Remember, they got 44m in presales for some foreign territories. That's cash right in their pocket, it's not a rebate or a future payment or anything. What it means is for our purposes, EG's outlying expense is really 65m or so. (100-110m budget minus the presales). So, while its not going to be a box-office juggernaut, it's going to (very likely) turn a profit for Summit, Odd Lot, and Digital Domain.
  • Like 3

No, it's actually doing pretty decently. Remember, they got 44m in presales for some foreign territories. That's cash right in their pocket, it's not a rebate or a future payment or anything. What it means is for our purposes, EG's outlying expense is really 65m or so. (100-110m budget minus the presales). So, while its not going to be a box-office juggernaut, it's going to (very likely) turn a profit for Summit, Odd Lot, and Digital Domain.

You're the only person ive seen ever say "presales". What do you mean? Do you mean tickets that were sold in advance and now the money is coming in? Or do you mean the movie was released early OS and so that money has came in?

You're the only person ive seen ever say "presales". What do you mean? Do you mean tickets that were sold in advance and now the money is coming in? Or do you mean the movie was released early OS and so that money has came in?

No, preselling to foreign distributors means you're selling the rights to distribute in that territory, in exchange for a greater percentage of the gross given to that distributor. It's a way of hedging your bets: you get money up front, the distributor gets a good chunk (or even all) of the gross for that territory. New Line famously paid for almost all the production budget of LOTR with FOTR pre-sales.

edit: here's the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_finance#Pre-sales

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

He means that the fiilm was shown to exhibitors overseas before the film was finished and based on what they saw, they bought the film outright which means that they do not split as much the gross with the studio.  So lets say a distribution comnpany from Germany liked it and they gave.....sorry, Tele beat me to it.....just to add another film that did this, First Blood did it as well.  Carolco covered the entire budget of the film by selling the film to foreign investors and that allowed them to pay Stallone what he wanted, which was 3 million.  If they didn't sell the rights they might not have had the money to pay him what he wanted.  

This is how Lionsgate does its international business as they don't distribute movies themselves in overseas markets. They sold Breaking Dawn 2 for $175 million (Budget $130 million), Now You See Me $50-55 million (budget $75 million), etc. The Hunger Games also recovered most of its $80 million budget from foreign presales. This is a good risk-averse strategy for a small distributor and it keeps them competitive with major studios that have the ability to take big risks in hopes for bigger rewards. 

• Like 3