Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

I really enjoyed it. 

ST09

Beyond

Into Darkness. 

There must have been about 100 people in the queue outside Uncle Tetsu's Japanese Cheesecake Shop next to the theatre. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Rewatched ST09. Wow, I'll just say Star Trek is freaking perfection. Besides a weak villain, the movie is one of my favorites of all time. Love the entire new cast. Special effects were great, sound/score was great, and direction was top notch. Especially loved the scene were Kirk/Sulu/Disposable3 parachuted to Vulcan. A/A+

In this thread they're called "redshirts".

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Can't imagine it's not better than Into Darkness. Hoping it's weightless, breezy and delivers a big smile.

Yeah, I think this franchise would benefit the most from having a fun and light-hearted film now after the last two and then go into heavier things in the next one again. So yeah, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I think this franchise would benefit the most from having a fun and light-hearted film now after the last two and then go into heavier things in the next one again. So yeah, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

It kind of reminds me was Pirates of the Caribbean tried to do with On Stranger Tides after the one-two bloatedness of Dead Man's Chest and At World's End: back to basics. And it sounds like Star Trek Beyond succeeded where On Stranger Tides failed.

• Like 1

Wasn't the biggest fan of the Escape format; some of the scenes looked obviously just scaled up to fit the three screens and therefore some of the quality was compromised and the footage looked pretty grainy. However, when the space battles go across all three screens it's pretty amazing.

The movie itself was great, quite a bit better than Into Darkness. Not as good as '09, but then again that's probably one of the best studio science fiction films of the last few years. Was pretty weird seeing Dubai double as Yorktown, especially since I've been to most of the outdoor locations shown.

6 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Its good, but doesn't strive to be great. Its light hearted, breezy, fun, and simple but also glides over and under explains/develops everything. Lin also follows the same structure as his fast films. Kirk and Spock's arc's aren't strong enough, movie is overly predictable. The most interesting stuff is the first act. The set pieces were disappointing too. The ship getting destroyed was awesome, but the other 2 giant set pieces fell flat. Its still a solid, enjoyable summer flick.

B- (82)

yeah, that seems to be the consensus among reviews.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm trying to figure out how ST09 is anything more than breezy fun

It isnt, really. 

It was a breezy, fun, entertaining sci-fi action movie and that was all it really needed to be. Star Trek was all but dead before it came out. 

Paramount let JJ make a movie that would appeal to people outside of the die hard Trek fans. It worked 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Beyond seems to be the Star Trek equivalent of Marvel movies.

I've seen many critics say it feels more like an(good) episode of one of the TV series but bigger.

There also also a couple of Fast and Furious comparisons but I feel they're just being lazy when they say that because of the director.

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I've seen many critics say it feels more like an(good) episode of one of the TV series but bigger.

There also also a couple of Fast and Furious comparisons but I feel they're just being lazy when they say that because of the director.

so, a safe and episodic fan-service? sounds exactly like a Marvel movie to me.

Edited by Goffe