Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Was there footage in that trailer? I couldn't pay attention because my brain was confused on why a stupid Rihanna song is playing. It didn't mix with fast cutting I thought. 2nd trailer was better, the footage here looked great though. More excited to see this than any other film this summer.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

coulda been worse. coulda been a trailerfied slowed down, moody version of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.

Rihanna singing Gabriel s Sledgehammer ?

Who s the fruitcake in this version ?

This was actually.... good. Didn't know what to expect, how Rihanna would gel with Trek. At the end of the day, the song will probably play during the end credits, if that, so who really cares. Hey, it's free publicity for Trek and the song seems to actually be one of her better ones, so... yay.

off-topic:

Just heard Bud Spencer died. Grew up with his (and Terence Hill's) movies. They were such a good time. Ah, those were the days...

RIP :(

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

It was great until Rihanna started actually singing. It feels almost as out of place as The Assassins Creed trailer. The instrumental sounds really good with the tone of the movie, then it became too much. They should have went back to the instrumental way sooner. The new footage looks fantastic though.

7 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Was there footage in that trailer? I couldn't pay attention because my brain was confused on why a stupid Rihanna song is playing. It didn't mix with fast cutting I thought. 2nd trailer was better, the footage here looked great though. More excited to see this than any other film this summer.

Yeah I agree, the 2nd trailer was better and gave me the scope of this adventure. The song here was fine until the singing came in...and then it felt like a music video or an MTV promo for this movie. The actual instrumental is epic sounding with great piano so it fit but the actual song does not besides the first few verses.  

But yeah there's a lot of new footage on display. And I'm sure the mainstream audiences will appreciate it. 

I'm still super stoked for this movie.

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

At the end of the day, the song will probably play during the end credits,

And this.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

1. YouTube comments are a source of entertainment until you realize these people are a part of the society you depend on.

2. My favorite response to using age-appropriate music "which song from the future would you pick?"

3. I'm just excited studios are coordination with music producers to get original soundtracks. Top Gun was infinitely better with Berlin. Heck, the soundtrack doesn't even have to be original. Ghost w/ Unchained Melody.

Supposedly an AI was created to mimic the internet. It was shut down for instigating too much hate.

1) Yeah but you have to realize that Star Trek is one of the biggest geek culture brands out there. I can definitely see why they would be upset about this trailer using a Rihanna song or for that matter any commercial song. They didn't like Sabotage either. The reason people liked the last trailer so much better was because it didn't have that music anymore.

2) I liked the instrumental to this song a lot along with some of the first verses but they could have used the score from the actual movie like the last trailer. I'm sure they have plenty of unused material.

3) Right, but this sort of felt like an advertisement for Rihannas new song. It's smart by marketing to try to push this into demographics who normally wouldn't care but that's exactly what it is. Rihannas face is the cover photo for the trailer not a still of the actual movie. That's pretty much selling out. Again I can understand why fans would be upset. If they pulled something like this for Star Wars, I would be upset too.

"God, I'm reading the comments on youtrube for this trailer and there's a lot of whining about the song. Seriously?? I don't like the singer myself but fuck that, the song fit really well with the trailer and the trailer was amazing! Where the second one felt more personal and smallish this one felt big in scale in all the right ways and the song was a big part of it.

People just like to whine endlessly on the internet, fuck that. I hope this is a breakout hit."

People are allowed to dislike things and disagree. That's what makes us human. I hope it's as good as the trailers have made it seem and it's a breakout hit too.

Also you have to question how much faith Paramount has in this movie that they are having to sell it to Rihannas fans. After this summer I really hope it's awesome.

Edited by somebody85

Best Summer Movie 2016. Nuff said.

Maybe even 2016 best. Shitty year. I don't see a single movie that could beat STID. Maybe only Zootopia. Rogue1 would have been good if it was directed by JJ. Directed by the Godzilla hack, it has a great chance of suckage.

Edited by shayhiri

19 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I feel like I will really enjoy this.  I feel like the summer 2016 curse for sequels is totally hitting this movie regardless.  Though...not TMNT bad...just...Xmen Apocalyose style.

I have an oddly good feeling about this one as well.

I believe in J Lin.

8 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I have an oddly good feeling about this one as well.

I believe in J Lin.

Justin Lin ain't no masterpiece filmmaker...but...and I'm feeling this...he can make good mainstream entertainment.  Only question is...has the marketing worked to deliver that opening weekend?  I dunno on that.  But if they do show up...I bet this will still be a solid piece of fun.