Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm wrapping up my first listen of the score and it's comfortably my favourite of the three.

I still find the main theme kind of obnoxious but the new themes are really doing it for me. One in particular, though I don't know what it represents. Lovely choral music here. A few subtle Horner nods.

Giacchino is very hot/cold for me but this is a definite winner.

I did like those choral pieces last night when I saw the movie. But by the end, I got caught up in the other stuff and wasn't able to tune in as much to those things.

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Top 10-15 or 20 composers ?

:)

Well here are my favourites. I say favourite because there's no debating that Goldsmith or Rota or whomever are better than Elfman but his voice appeals to me more than anyone else.

1. Danny Elfman

2. Jerry Goldsmith

3. Nino Rota

4. Philip Glass

5. John Williams

6. John Barry

7. Patrick Doyle

8. Christopher Young

9. Vangelis 

10. Thomas Newman

Also love Desplat, Carpenter, Horner, Walker, Korzeniowski... It's a great hobby because there's just so much out there. 

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I did like those choral pieces last night when I saw the movie. But by the end, I got caught up in the other stuff and wasn't able to tune in as much to those things.

Yeah I've heard it's completely drown out by the action at the end?

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Yeah I've heard it's completely drown out by the action at the end?

Seemed that way, but as I mentioned earlier, I was really into the movie for the most part so I might have just got more focused in the proceedings and couldn't focus on the movie.

The last third doesn't have much room for breathing.

7 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Well here are my favourites. I say favourite because there's no debating that Goldsmith or Rota or whomever are better than Elfman but his voice appeals to me more than anyone else.

1. Danny Elfman

2. Jerry Goldsmith

3. Nino Rota

4. Philip Glass

5. John Williams

6. John Barry

7. Patrick Doyle

8. Christopher Young

9. Vangelis 

10. Thomas Newman

Also love Desplat, Carpenter, Walker, Korzeniowski... It's a great hobby because there's just so much out there. 

Walker ?

Korzneioswki ?

Ahh, Goldmsith, adore him, one of my fave too.

Goldsmith is so underrated, I always felt he deserved a better career and better movies (I know, he had plenty of good ones but still), he never really had a relationship with an A-List filmmaker and I think his Oscar for The Omen kinda pigeonholed him in the horror/fantasy/action genre.

His career is so big though, encompassing decades ...

Sorry to bother you again, but would you care to do your Goldsmith Top Ten ? Or mention some of his obscure scores you love that I could check out ?

Do you have nice words to say about Hans Z and the Media Venture Army which changed the soundtrack landscape for ever ? Hum ...

I was always stunned to learn that Danny Elfman has no formal training, his scores are so lush, detailed and majestic sometimes ...

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Walker ?

Korzneioswki ?

Ahh, Goldmsith, adore him, one of my fave too.

Goldsmith is so underrated, I always felt he deserved a better career and better movies (I know, he had plenty of good ones but still), he never really had a relationship with an A-List filmmaker and I think his Oscar for The Omen kinda pigeonholed him in the horror/fantasy/action genre.

His career is so big though, encompassing decades ...

Sorry to bother you again, but would you care to do your Goldsmith Top Ten ? Or mention some of his obscure scores you love that I could check out ?

Do you have nice words to say about Hans Z and the Media Venture Army which changed the soundtrack landscape for ever ? Hum ...

I was always stunned to learn that Danny Elfman has no formal training, his scores are so lush, detailed and majestic sometimes ...

Walker

Korzeniowski

Goldsmith's the best. His filmography is filled with utter trash and then he turned down The Mummy Returns because he hated the first movie - that was one of the few good adventure movies he did!

Hmm. I've still some Goldsmith to discover but from what I've heard, it's probably a standard list.

1. Hoosiers

2. The Final Conflict

3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

4. Poltergeist 

5. Total Recall

6. Chinatown

7. The Ghost and the Darkness

8. The Russia House

9. Patton

10. Basic Instict

I like Zimmer himself (he seems like a fun guy) and I like a good chunk of his music. Personally, I like my film music to catch the footage on screen while Zimmer tends to write music over scenes, it's more like trailer music to me. 

I do take issue with additional composers. Not the idea itself, they're very much necessary these days, but they don't seem to be given appropriate credit. For example, Lorne Balfe wrote a lot of Inception. Not just cues using Zimmer's themes, some of the themes in that score are Balfe's. Yet to 99.99% of people it's a Zimmer score.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Walker

Korzeniowski

Goldsmith's the best. His filmography is filled with utter trash and then he turned down The Mummy Returns because he hated the first movie - that was one of the few good adventure movies he did!

Hmm. I've still some Goldsmith to discover but from what I've heard, it's probably a standard list.

1. Hoosiers

2. The Final Conflict

3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

4. Poltergeist 

5. Total Recall

6. Chinatown

7. The Ghost and the Darkness

8. The Russia House

9. Patton

10. Basic Instict

I like Zimmer himself (he seems like a fun guy) and I like a good chunk of his music. Personally, I like my film music to catch the footage on screen while Zimmer tends to write music over scenes, it's more like trailer music to me. 

I do take issue with additional composers. Not the idea itself, they're very much necessary these days, but they don't seem to be given appropriate credit. For example, Lorne Balfe wrote a lot of Inception. Not just cues using Zimmer's themes, some of the themes in that score are Balfe's. Yet to 99.99% of people it's a Zimmer score.

om my God. Another person that knows and loves that score

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You got to credit his musical pal Steve Bartek who has been his orchestrator after being his Oingo Boingo's band mate for decades. Bartek has formal training and helped Elfman's ideas (inspired by Bartok and Tchaikovsky) becoming those unforgettable grand orchestral pieces. (Oingo Boingo is da shiznit, it's zany/spooky/wacky/creepy/melancholic rock'n'roll circus)

You can also credit the late Shirley Walker who worked on Elfman Batman's orchestrations (movies and TAS) then composed the majestic Mask of the phantasm's theme. (That buries Zimmer's theme into the ground without contest).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Actually, that's wrong. Zimmer did all important or known themes. F Riff (Dream Is Collapsing), Mal Dark (Old Souls), Time (Time), and Mombasa (Mombasa) were all Hans. Balfe did the subthemes. Kick It (One Simple Idea), Robert Fisher (528491 before the BRAAHM), and Saito (end of Paradox) were Balfe.

Balfe also adapted Hans themes into film cues.

Edited by Goffe

Just now, Goffe said:

Actually, that's wrong. Zimmer did all important or known themes. The F Riff (Dream Is Collapsing), Mal Dark (Old Souls), Time (Time), and Mombasa (Mombasa) were all Hans. Balfe did the subthemes. Kick It suite (One Simple Idea), Rober Fisher (528491), and Saito (end of Paradox) were Balfe.

Balfe also adapted Hans themes into film cues.

Subthemes are still themes. And those are all prominent pieces of music in the film. 

The guy from HansZimmer.com who uploaded the credits said that Balfe deserved a co-composer credit.

Very disappointing.  Found the whole affair thoroughly mediocre.  Commits the sin of being loud and boring.

Again, only Kirk and Spock have any sort of character arcs, and they're telegraphed so obviously in the first 10 minutes that there's no surprises there.  The main villain is a major dud, featuring garbled dialogue and a fleet of Matrix Revolutions Sentinel ripoffs.  Urban is giving it his all, but all the other actors aren't given much to play and are pretty flat, IMO.

Honestly, the direction made me appreciate J.J. Abrams' ability to move the camera and direct an action scene.  All Lin can do is keep the camera constantly moving, but to no good purpose.  So much pointless spinning.

I think... I liked Into Darkness more.  Can't believe I'm saying that, but Abrams made me care about everything so much more in that film, even with its major flaws.

• Like 1

Seems like a fair review to me.

Now ive seen it im quite happy, it is SO much better than ID, which, I thought was just really badly written and had a lot more than its share of the laziness Abrams sometimes has in his directing.

Its not the best Trek movie by a long shot, but its in the top half.

1. First Contact
  2. Wrath of Khan
  3. Voyage Home
  4. Undiscovered Country
  5. ST09
  6. Beyond
  7. Insurrection
  8. Search For Spock
  9. Generations
  10. The Motion Picture
  11. Nemesis
  12. Final Frontier
  13. Into Darkness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Enjoyed it but it's completely disposable. Those saying it's like an extended tv episode are pretty much on the mark 

That was how I felt as well.  I enjoyed it just fine.  No desire to see it again.