grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

No offense but to the general population "different" is a tough sell in the SH market, just don't see it doing that well.

I hear a lot of the complaints that Marvel movies are formulaic, from what we've seen GOTG seems anything but. 

I hear a lot of the complaints that Marvel movies are formulaic, from what we've seen GOTG seems anything but. 

The biggest wild card that weekend is not GOTG, but it is "How many women will turn up for 50 Shades?". The more women who go to watch 50SoG, the bigger the impact on GOTG. 

The biggest wild card that weekend is not GOTG, but it is "How many women will turn up for 50 Shades?". The more women who go to watch 50SoG, the bigger the impact on GOTG. 

Aren't they pushing back the release date for 50 Shades? I could've sworn I read that somewhere after Charlie Hunnam dropped out.

• Founder / Operator

If anything, I think its the formulaic approach that is keeping Marvel movies big (and yes, TDW is still fairly "big"). Not that a non-formula approach can't work if they pull it off right, but it's a huge risk to take with audiences.

• Like 1

Sure Avengers was an ensemble but RDJ is such a force that it feels like he is getting more attention in the movie even if he really wasn't. Also Iron Man is by far the most popular character not just because of RDJ but also because of his design. That cool robot suit design is just very appealing, especially to kids. 

But in the movie, Hulk's star was the brightest while IM was second at best. Also, TA jumped 300M domestic over IM2 so clearly if it was only IM, jump wouldn't be that substantial. 

Edited by druv10

Aren't they pushing back the release date for 50 Shades? I could've sworn I read that somewhere after Charlie Hunnam dropped out.

No, they found a replacement within 2 weeks and pushed filming back a month. The release date is unchanged.

The appeal is mostly in them being together. People can argue about who is more popular until the cows come home but it doesn't matter. 

Neither of the last Freddy or Jason movies made over $20M, but Freddy Vs Jason made over $80M. Who was the draw there? Both and neither.

• Like 2

If anything, I think its the formulaic approach that is keeping Marvel movies big (and yes, TDW is still fairly "big"). Not that a non-formula approach can't work if they pull it off right, but it's a huge risk to take with audiences.

This is exactly what I meant, playing it safe has been key to the current Marvel run and massive success of TA
  • Like 1

Sure Avengers was an ensemble but RDJ is such a force that it feels like he is getting more attention in the movie even if he really wasn't.

Pretty much this. Didn't Captain America/Chris Evans have the most screen time in The Avengers? (Barely, but still.)

Edited by pensivepenguin

That approach also limits what something can gross while GOTG is a wildcard. If Gunn delivers it could really breakout or flop hard. 

• Like 1

I think we've hit a point where the domestic gross is becoming rapidly irrelevant in a still growing global marketplace. Foreign totals for Thor obviously make it a massive success compared to just a success from its domestic opening.

Not irrelevant, it's still the biggest market. But it's no longer the biggest market by far.

There will reach a point where we don't track movies by "Domestic" and "Overseas" takes, with better breakdowns and tracking by market. It's kind of already overdue

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 2

Not irrelevant, it's still the biggest market. But it's no longer the biggest market by far. There will reach a point where we don't track movies by "Domestic" and "Overseas" takes, with better breakdowns and tracking by market. It's kind of already overdue

Irrelevant is a strong term but it is headed that way especially with more movies opening globally before the US.

I think we've hit a point where the domestic gross is becoming rapidly irrelevant in a still growing global marketplace. Foreign totals for Thor obviously make it a massive success compared to just a success from its domestic opening.

+10