Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

With the absence of the Joker, the TDK/TDKR comparison probably isn't that useful anyway (not to mention the events of that fateful weekend). TDKR always had an uphill battle beating TDK's domestic without the most popular comic book villain ever.

TDKR still out opened TDK, in this case CF is looking to drop 10-12M on OW from THG which is the most shocking thing about the performance so far.  

• Like 2

With the absence of the Joker, the TDK/TDKR comparison probably isn't that useful anyway (not to mention the events of that fateful weekend). TDKR always had an uphill battle beating TDK's domestic without the most popular comic book villain ever.

Most people were predicting TDKR's total to be smaller than TDK's. What no one predicted was the insane incident at midnight that completely fucked the weekend over. Even with that $15-20m asterisk, it still made more than TDK's nominal gross on opening weekend. THG2 is looking at a drop of around $10m from the first movie's opening and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

HP1 still has the Thanksgiving weekend record (gosh darn insane), any chance CF beats that?

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Weekend

Gross*

Week # Theaters Avg. Total Gross^ Release

Date%

1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $57,487,755 2 3,672 $15,655 $317,575,550 11/16/01
2 Toy Story 2 BV $57,388,839 2 3,236 $17,734 $245,852,179 11/24/99
3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $54,727,138 2 3,858 $14,185 $290,013,036 11/18/05
4 How the Grinch Stole Christmas Uni. $52,118,445 2 3,134 $16,630 $260,044,825 11/17/00
5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $49,087,101 2 4,125 $11,900 $295,983,305 11/19/10

Most people were predicting TDKR's total to be smaller than TDK's. What no one predicted was the insane incident at midnight that completely fucked the weekend over. Even with that $15-20m asterisk, it still made more than TDK's nominal gross on opening weekend. THG2 is looking at a drop of around $10m from the first movie's opening and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

Other than the fact that it just wasn't as well received as the THG fanbase would like us to believe.

HP1 still has the Thanksgiving weekend record (gosh darn insane), any chance CF beats that?

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Weekend

Gross*

Week # Theaters Avg. Total Gross^ Release

Date%

1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $57,487,755 2 3,672 $15,655 $317,575,550 11/16/01 2 Toy Story 2 BV $57,388,839 2 3,236 $17,734 $245,852,179 11/24/99 3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $54,727,138 2 3,858 $14,185 $290,013,036 11/18/05 4 How the Grinch Stole Christmas Uni. $52,118,445 2 3,134 $16,630 $260,044,825 11/17/00 5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $49,087,101 2 4,125 $11,900 $295,983,305 11/19/10

Very slight. Could take 3rd spot though.

The probelm is that the first HP was a pretty lousy movie so the drop was understandable. I haven't seen the frst Hunger Games but I was under the impression people acually liked it?

Excuse my use of the word "magical", but that's exactly what HP1 is. It has this amazing tone to it that makes it even more incredible every single time you watch it. I honestly feel sorry for you that you don't feel this when you watch it.
  • Like 1

THG just wasn't as well received as TDK or even close by the performance of CF. 

Oh I agree. CF's performance is really weird at the moment.

TDKR still out opened TDK, in this case CF is looking to drop 10-12M on OW from THG which is the most shocking thing about the performance so far.

The drop in admissions might be around the same though (a few percent here or there).

Excuse my use of the word "magical", but that's exactly what HP1 is. It has this amazing tone to it that makes it even more incredible every single time you watch it.I honestly feel sorry for you that you don't feel this when you watch it.

Being the patronising isn't the best way to convince someone. It's a servicable family movie, and far from the best of the series.

Avengers 2 should drop slightly in OW and 20% domestic. 1st time is a charm and 2nd time around there isn't anything spectacular about the ensemble. I dont see 2nd phase having that strong an appeal to GA that origin movies did for 1st phase. Unles Guardians explode(which looks so remote), Avengers need something new to sell. Plus competition should be there even though currently it looks light.For example nothing is scheduled for 5/8 and its impossible that it stays that way.

Is the " The Avengers Effect" not proof enough that audience interest in the Marvel Universe has increased?Why would the film that sparked the increased interest decrease, especially OW?

Being the patronising isn't the best way to convince someone. It's a servicable family movie, and far from the best of the series.

Because it's the first one and because a bunch of us were 8 at the time, it's got some serious nostalgia value.

I think TA 2 has the advantage of family audience over TDKR and THG 

I agree, but shouldn't this have shown up in home video sales compared to THG? The biggest home video sellers tend to be animated movies. Can't get any more "family audience" than animated flicks like The Lion King and Finding Nemo.

• Like 1

With this tragedy, the level and consistancy of the Twilight movies success remain a mystery that scientists will study for generations to come.

What is the worst case scenario here, not even 300 ?

I don't see it exploding OS either, it is getting crushed by Gravity in China.

I don't see it touching 800m ww, 750m ww tops, which is only 50m higher than the first one. Wall Street analists predicted 900,950m ww for CF ...

Oh Boy ...

The big paradox is that the movie has an even better critical reception from audience and critics than the first one.

What is happening would be a good start for a Twilight Zone or X Files episode.

Dark Times.

:(:angry::unsure:

I don't believe in legs anymore, for whatever reason, this is resonnating less than Twilight with GA.

Edited by The Futurist